A challenge for all - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2005, 03:14   #1 (permalink)

A challenge for all

I am driving an automatic 98 EL Falcon, and last week when I drove the car I noticed that the gears were slow to change when accelerating and decelerating (and changed erratically), I could really FEEL the gear changes when I never could before, the car wasn't reponding as well when I pushed the accelerator, so I had to push for longer to get to 60, and the ride became very rough - as if my suspension was damaged.
I took the car to Ford for a $700 service, but the problem remains.

The ride is normally very smooth, with good acceleration and I never feel any gear changes.

I am at a loss to explain what is going on. It was a sudden rather than a gradual change in the car. What could be damaged?
TonyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2005, 03:37   #2 (permalink)
Who wants more than 80kw?

Re: A challenge for all

I doubt ford would have test driven the vehicle.

Two things come to my mind:

Does the engine vibrate & run crap when idling / revving up in neutral or park while stationary? If it does the harmonic balancer may have collapsed. If it doesnt then:

The erratic shifting and shudder during driving suggests transmission.

If it is the auto, it sounds like the torque converter has blown up, or something in the electronics has gone very wrong....

Hard to say anything more without experiencing it... I would consult an automatic transmission repairer but BEWARE... it will be VERY expensive.

Maybe someone else could offer more?

Good luck anyway!
81foXDwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 00:00   #3 (permalink)

Ford took it for a test drive, but obviously they can't appreciate how very different the car is now compared to 2 weeks ago.
It doesn't vibrate too much when idling, but picture this scenario.

I turn on the engine - everythings fine. Then accelerate but don't get as much acceleration as usual, so it takes longer, and I have to press the accelerator more to keep the car at 60, as it slows down more when I take the foot of the pedal. The gears are slow to change, and the change is dramatic so I can really FEEL the change and it's like going over a bump every time. I can really feel the road underneath- much more than usual, so it becomes a rough ride, and at times I feel the car "wobbling" a little, particularly right after a turn. Fuel efficiency is normal, it's easy to start the car.

Ford replaced the transmission fluid (due to fluid "burn"), had a visual inspection of suspension, performed wheel alignment, rotated and balanced wheels. They did other things too, of course, but they were things that may have contributed to the problem.

So there is some more information. What could be the problem?
TonyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 03:16   #4 (permalink)
Who wants more than 80kw?

Ok, looks like ford have covered a fair amount of ground.

Do you / have you towed heavy trailers or caravans? Fluid burn is usually caused by the tranny being overloaded, or the oil changed too infrequently. This could be a telltale sign...

It still sounds like a fault inside the auto itself. The shudder could be caused by a problem with the torque converter lockup system. I know VN commodores can develop a specific fault - when the torque converter locks they shudder like crazy.

As far as I know this isnt a common fault with EL's. I know people that drive these cars hard, and havent described this fault.

What I think you should do is post this question into the Inline 6 section of the Garage forums. The guys there will know more than I do.

Sorry im not much help!
81foXDwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech