Changing Falcon Instrument panel -> Fairmont - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2003, 22:45   #1 (permalink)
Insane By Nature

Changing Falcon Instrument panel -> Fairmont

Ok, I thought I would ask here first. Itís just a thought at the moment and I havenít really investigated it yet, so if anyone knows it will save me a bit of fiddling.

Has anyone here changed an EB II Falcon Instrument panel to an EB II Fairmont Instrument panel and got all the extra gauges to work? The standard Falcon panel only has speed / temp / petrol readings on it, so the additional instruments would be the tachometer / oil / battery readings. If so what other components did you have to carry over from the Fairmont or are most the required components already installed in the Falcon, just not connected to the Instrument display panel (as those gauges do not yet exist)?

All Iím really after is the tacho and I could always just mount a separate aftermarket one, but having the other gauges would be nice too and would save me from having to mount the tacho on the dash.

Thanx in advance,
Defective User
defective is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2003, 01:12   #2 (permalink)

I did this very thing with my EB2 about a month ago. All the wiring was in place so it was basically a straight swap wiring wise. But I did have other issues that you should know about.

First, My car had smartlock, the only dash I could get didn't have smartlock but was still an EB2 dash. The smartlock light is only a bit of plastic with a small electrical board inside it, with a clear LED on the end. If you are like me and still want the Smartlock light you need to do the following. Remove the 3 nuts on the right side of the dash (looking at it from behind), this will allow you to lift the backing up enough to pull the smartlock LED out. I found that with the nuts that 2 came off fine, and 1 went back on fine too. The other I somehow stuffed the thread and I snapped the third one straight off. After snapping the third one off I decided taking the 8-9 nuts off the fairmont dash might be a little too risky. My solution was to drill a hole where the LED was suppost to go, then use a file till it was square and the plastic that hold the board/LED was a tight fit. Then I just cut the Smartlock red plastic (you will know what I mean when you see it) off the old dash and cut the same area out of the new, switched them over, and used some sticky tape on the back so it couldn't be seen. Now you have a smartlock lamp where there was none before :)

Second, this is a list of all the parts that I needed to get everything working of the fairmont dash.

Fairmont dash (derrrrr), make sure you get one that suits your engine!
- Overflow tank, $82 new from Ford, must have a hole for the coolant sensor. pn: EDC-8A084-B
- Coolant sensor switch, $51 new from Ford, goes in the hole in overflow tank pn: EA-10k888-A
- Overflow tank Cap, $9 new from Ford, holds sensor in. pn: EC-10K926-A
- Oil pressure sensor, $70 new from Ford, replaces switch. pn: ASW-114

I think those part numbers are right.

You can also get a Low Washer fluid bottle and sensor, but I couldn't be bothered. Make sure you get the screw in plug (I call it Overflow tank Cap) that holds the coolant sensor in!! I went to the local Ford dealer and they told me it didn't exist, I drove the car and once it was hot it blew the sensor out along with all the coolant in the overflow tank. Went back, and they found it

Other thing is changing the oil sensor is a pain in the ass. I had to take it down to my local mechanic to get it done as you need to take the oil filter out to get to the sensor and it is still difficult to remove. If you are on your back under the car, you need to be extremely flexable to do that!

Edit: this is a must read!! It tells you everything else you need to know.

Mods:
Fairmont dash, Pioneer DEH-P5550MP, Trip Computer, XH Snorkel, EL Thermo Fans
crYnOid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 01:16   #3 (permalink)
Ford Member

Ok, haven't done it, but, here's what I have heard and know already.

Know- revs run from "pink" wire found in engine bay, (around brake booster arrarently)
- have to change the pressure switch to a pressure sensor on the engine.

Heard- battery circuit shouldn't need anything done to it.
Chris Nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 01:17   #4 (permalink)
Ford Member

Are you running a I6 or a V8.
Chris Nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 02:02   #5 (permalink)
Insane By Nature

Thumbs up

Iím an idiot

Why did I not think of checking the Ford Mod site, itís normally my first stop. Oh well... Thank you all very much for the info... The engine is an i6.

To be honest itís allot cheaper then I expected, but does anyone have a price on the instrumentation panel itself?

Thanx again all,
Defective User
defective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 02:31   #6 (permalink)

cluster is $720(!!!!!) new from Ford

I got mine from a wreakers for $165

Mods:
Fairmont dash, Pioneer DEH-P5550MP, Trip Computer, XH Snorkel, EL Thermo Fans
crYnOid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 19:19   #7 (permalink)
Proudly Average

i got mine for $53 from a wrecker up here... i wouldn;t expect to get that again... $100 is the usual asking price up here
.020 over 351 Clevo, 10:1 comp, ported 302 heads, blueprinted and balanced, custom ground cam, Edelbrock intake, 600 Holley, K&N air filter, Custom Zip-Ties(tm), MSD ignition, Genie extractors, 2 x 2.5" exhaust, 2800rpm stally, rooted C4
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech