Charcoal canister woes - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2002, 02:55   #1 (permalink)
Ex Member

Charcoal canister woes

my car reaks of petrol, especialy on hot days, & after 15 or so minutes of driving with the c/c in fresh air the fumes start comming inside...

Its not a fuel leak, because ive checked. it seems to be coming from where the 2 hosed plug connects to the charcoal canister. there is some play in its connection. i cleaned the O ring in there and it made no difference.

The purge valve has been replaced under warranty as it was stuffed. but im still having petrol high's everytime i drive my car!!

1) When does the purge valve operate?
2) Why would i be able to smell it inside if the charcoal cansiter is under the front left wheel arch?

Its no danger, i just want to get rid of the smell!

thanks
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2002, 19:13   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

*if its a carby type canister setup* the canister has numerous lines going to and from the fuel tank .. its possible one of the lines has a leak.

If its EFI I am not sure what the go is at all with the charcoal canister
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 19:14   #3 (permalink)
Ex Member

Geeee, thanks for all the reply's....

It turns out.. hmmm your not supposed to fill the fuel tank right to the brim... this was causing my charcoal canister to be full of petrol!!

I will know not to be such a knob in future..

I didnt know it was bad to fill the tank right up.. oh well, i learnt something new..
Old 03-08-2002, 19:19   #4 (permalink)
Ex Member

Quote:
Originally posted by XA coupe
*if its a carby type canister setup* the canister has numerous lines going to and from the fuel tank .. its possible one of the lines has a leak.

If its EFI I am not sure what the go is at all with the charcoal canister
In mine (efi) its very basic...

1 hose from fuel tank, then into 1 way valve, then into top of charcoal canister connector. Then vacume line from upper intake manafold (v8) goes to purge valve solenoid, then into bottom connector of charcoal cansiter connector.

I will inspect the hoses too, thanks
Old 03-09-2002, 16:31   #5 (permalink)
XR9UTE

Hi Fairlane Boy,

The strategy for Canister Purge is; Off at from cold start up to medium loads when cold and also off on decelleration, On at medium to full load when warm.

It may take a while to unsaturate your canister. If you find it is still giving you the shits(vapours in the cab), take it out of the car and leave it in the sun for a day. This will evaporate all the remaining fuel. Or you can give it heaps everywhere so the EEC turns on the Purge Valve and draws all the vapours out.

Pete.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech