Ford Forums banner

Check ABS light on

8K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  FTEfan 
#1 ·
Just recently my CHECK ABS light lit up as i was coming up to traffic lights that were red... To my bloody surprise I HAD NO BRAKES the pedal seemed to be locked & i couldnt push the pedal no matter how much i stamped on the bloody thing, thankgod for handbrakes as i slid in tyres howling, smoke billowing followed by some heads shaking & "check out this idiot" looks.....
I pulled over had a look around to find no probs & ABS light had gone off... now im getting this warning light intermittently..
Any Ideas please someone
Brett

#2 ·
WTF

Whenever the light is ON the ABS is meant to revert to normal braking..........i.e skidding.!!!! You shouldntve had a brake failure!

Check your front disk rotors to see if the ABS rings are full of dirt/grime/metal etc and clean out.

check battery terminals and wiring is clean & tight.

check fluid level:nuts:

try driving on a quiet straight bit of road and jump on the brakes to test the ABS:

if skids = ABS Fingered:(
If no skid but pedal pulse = ABS OK (currenlty);)

Otherwise go to ford and get codes checked!

:p

#4 ·
Same thing happened to me about 12 months ago. After stopping with the handbrake a few times, I had the ABS system checked. After 2 days of testing, one of the ABS sensors was found to be intermittantly faulty and giving false readings. Quite scary when the brake pedal goes to the floor and nothing!!!!!!!!!!!

#5 ·
safest

The safest thng to do if any brake warning light comes on is stop and check the car. If it drives/stops OK get it to a dealer ASAP. If that means on a tow truck then so be it. Nothing worse then stopping with no brakes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.