Check Engine Light - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2002, 07:58   #1 (permalink)
96 GT owner

Question Check Engine Light

Check engine light will not go off on 96 GT. It came on after having valve cover gaskets replaced. The dealer has checked for codes (three times), and nothing comes up. Getting poor gas mileage since light came on. Any suggestions on what is casuing the light to stay on? Can I just have it disconnected?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2002, 10:16   #2 (permalink)

Well, you can always take the CEL light bulb out of the dash. 96 and 97's have OBD2 emissions and engine control systems. Meaning, you need a scan tool to read the codes and reset the light, unlike 93-95 models you don't need a scan tool. Some people might suggest disconnecting the negative wire from the battery and pushing the brake pedal down for 5 to 10 secs. I don't think that's a good idea. It works for the 93-95 models, but it doesn't work very well for 96-97. Why, It will erase the stored parameters of your engine, and make your car run rough until the computer relearns all the information. I'd take it to a differant shop or one that works on Mazdas. That light is coming on for a reason.

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 23:15   #3 (permalink)
One Winged Angel

Mine was on because of the O2 sensor. I got it fixed.
"It's been said that everything in the universe is fundamentally composed of energy. What we think of as matter is really nothing more than a certain type of energy. And since energy cannot be created or destroyed but merely transferred, some speculate that living beings never truly die. Their life energy is simply returned to the universe in its simplest form." FFVII
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech