Chip Torque or Unichip? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2002, 19:29   #1 (permalink)

Question Chip Torque or Unichip?

Would like to get people's opinions that have used a Unichip or Chip Torque in their Falcon to help me decide what would be the better one for a mild EB 5.0?

Personally, I would prefer to find someone in Melbourne that has the ability to tune and re-map the EEC-IV. So, if anyone knows anyone that can do this can you let us know?
jceb0302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2002, 17:01   #2 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

Go for the uni-chip i know that herrod uses them and you can take it to your next car if you decide to sell no matter what it is.

Remember its the person tuning the car will make it work well so go to someone who knows what there doing.
WINGED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 18:31   #3 (permalink)
XR805

I've got the powerchip in my el xr8. Added 17kw extra and kicks ass over unichip and chiptorque! Costaed around $900 fitted by the guys who are at sth melb. They program it to what u want out of ya car.
Old 01-07-2002, 18:34   #4 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

No question here, go the Unichip. Find somewhere with a good tuner, and watch as you get 10+rwkW, better economy, and a more flexible torque spread.

As mentioned, it's the only one (apart from full blown Motec etc systems) that is tuned for YOUR car, in realtime, on a dyno. Chiptorque and Powerchip offer off-the-shelf solutions that are not matched for your particular specs. They may offer a customization service, but it cannot compare to realtime tuning.

Two of our club members have commented on negative effects (losing power, poorer throttle response etc) when fitting "off-the-shelf" products.
Old 01-07-2002, 19:10   #5 (permalink)
I want a turtle!

Hi,

I did a lot of research into chips before finally settling on a UniChip.

I ended up with 11 rwkw increase. Since then, I have modified the car a lot more, and I know the car would not run right with out the chip.

I have spoken to a lot of people who bought the "one size fits all" chips, and they where very dissapointed in them.
Old 01-08-2002, 00:21   #6 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

so what about the EEC learning around the chip then???? How does the unichip change the values of the EEC??

EG. If the unichip thinks at 3800rpm it has to add 'X' degrees timing and 'Y' amount of fuel, then when the computer learns it throws the values of your chip out. The long term fuel trim will throw it even more. Seen people get chips, be happy with the result and then a month or two later dynoed again and then be down on power, pull the chip and then get more power....
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 01:45   #7 (permalink)
exodius

chips suck

as mentioned by several mechanics.

i got told by one .. a customer had a xr8, exhaust/extractors and then got the chip, he didnt notice any difference and didnt even get more power.

unless you modify your cam, or have exhaust+extractors on, you people are living in a fantasy world

a chip will NOT give u 10kw, my ass it will, i'd like that in a dyno reading before anyone says that.

unless theres proof, i personally think its a crock of shit.
engine mods do a whole lot more then a chip.. changing your diff ratio, brass clutch, camshaft, extractors, cold air induction, mandrel bent induction.. etc etc etc.

10kw out of a chip, pffffffffffffT :MUha:

theres my 2 cents.

:crazy2:
Old 01-08-2002, 07:38   #8 (permalink)
XR9UTE

Neither! An EEC-Tuner is the only way to go!
It will allow you to tune it yourself. None of this pay more money for a change when they can't get it right the first time bullshit!
Unichips are a stop gap measure at best. The only reason Herrod uses them(and I don't blame him) is because he can't get anything else.
If your EB is really that mild a chip won't make a scrap of difference. Tell us exactly what you have done to your EB?

If you really want to learn something and have the ability to change the original Ford calibration the EEC-Tuner is it.
Use your own laptop and tune it yourself.
Check out; eec-tuner.com

Ive been using one successfully for the last 3 years on my EFI 351C XE ute using a 5.0 EECIV. The same setup will soon be running my 391 stroker windsor which will replace the cleveland in the ute.
There is also a 5.0 HO powered '72 Capri,a 351w powered '33 Ford and two ED XR8's(one a 347) running EEC-Tuners around Perth. Oh and of course Kon is running one in his Sprint in Sydney.

Also coming up running a 5.0 EECIV/'Tuner package is an EFI 572ci aluminium 460 in an XG ute,EFI 460 XA sedan,a blown 5.0 powered XW ute in Kalgoorlie, and my '69 XR7 390 Cougar which will have at least 416ci and custom EFI intake.
Make no mistake there are NO LIMITS with an EECIV!

I'm currently taking orders for five more 'Tuners @ $810 ea.
So far I have two definite orders so I need three more.

Pete.
Old 01-08-2002, 14:24   #9 (permalink)
I want a turtle!

Re: chips suck

Quote:
Originally posted by exodius

a chip will NOT give u 10kw, my ass it will, i'd like that in a dyno reading before anyone says that.

10kw out of a chip, pffffffffffffT :MUha:

:crazy2:
Here is my dyno print out to PROVE that a chip alone can give you MORE than 10 rwkw!!!
Old 01-08-2002, 14:35   #10 (permalink)

i don`t know whether this has been mentioned but a recent edition of Motor reviewed Unichip, on an xr6 Ute i think. He was very happy with the response and overall results.

Read the article.
ls1vx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech