Chucking Fan Belts - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2004, 17:50   #1 (permalink)

Chucking Fan Belts

Gday, Got A (450hp) 351c In Xd Ute That Runs P/steer And Alt Belts.
We Keep Spitting Off The Alt Belt At Somewhere Between 5500 And 6800 Rpm. Ive Checked The Alignment Of The Pulleys, And It All Looks Okay.
We Have Changed Nothing Since Last Weekend, And All Of A Sudden It Wants To Throw Belts. Any Ideas??? :aahhh:
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2004, 18:40   #2 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Re: Chucking Fan Belts

Welcome to my word You'll soon get sick of people saying run a glimmer belt.

Mine used to do exactly the same. Remove the fan and see whether it still throws belts. I am guessing your running the 7 blade run?

I'd spent about $200-$300 on belts. If removing the fan stops the issue? You can either run EL thermo's or buy a lighter weight flex fan. If that doesn't work move onto the alternator. You could be getting a harmonic from that. Which of bloody course my car had also. Why? Just because it's my car and it has to shit me. Story of my life.

I replaced the alternator with a brand new 85amp bosch one for $210. Bolted right on no modifications.

I also spent a lot of unnecessary time on a dyno trying to find the fault. On a dyno it was perfect. On the road I had issues.

[edit] I have a lot less hair now, hairs a tad greyer and my wallets much lighter. AH STRESS!!!

Brenden
Old 05-02-2004, 20:33   #3 (permalink)
Turbo 351TC "Coming soon"

What fan belt are you's both running?? If it's ribbed/toothed on the inside that should be your problem, The teeth helps it walk off the pulley at high revs. If not try a belt with a smaller V so it sits lower in the pulley. But yes get ready for the gilmer replys. But with some cars i've seen thats the only thing that'll fix it.
Hope this helps
Cheers Brett
TD302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 20:55   #4 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

I tried almost everything inc various different types of belts and V's. I found the ribbed tooth ones to be the most reliable. I spent large amounts of $ chasing it on a dyno.

The only thing that solved my problems were;

a) new alternator
b) thermo fans

[edit] this pic was taken just before I changed the alternator. I've never had a belt issue since.

look familar debacle-racing?? -->>

Brenden
Old 05-02-2004, 21:04   #5 (permalink)
Turbo 351TC "Coming soon"

You'd have to be the first i've heard of saying they're better. Because the belt in the pic are the worst to use if your throwing them. Have you tried a different crank pulley as we had a problem with a 308 throwing belts and that fixed it. Maybe try a single belt pulley and triple check the alignment, doesn't need to out much.
Cheers Brett
TD302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 21:14   #6 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD302
You'd have to be the first i've heard of saying they're better. Because the belt in the pic are the worst to use if your throwing them. Have you tried a different crank pulley as we had a problem with a 308 throwing belts and that fixed it. Maybe try a single belt pulley and triple check the alignment, doesn't need to out much.
Cheers Brett
Yup, I walked down the pulley path also. I tried 3 different sets. The poster at a guess would be reluctant to try a single pulley because theres power steering.

I had people telling me remove the power steer and all sorts. In the end the issue was the amount of air the fan was trying to push was too much resistance @ decent rpm and the god knows how old alternator didn't like it either. Remember a factory Clevo redlines @ 4400rpm from memory. So all the components where designed to run @ higher rpm than factory.

The cars done plenty of k's since and is still using the ribbed belts without a single belt issue. Even did my own testing @ heathcote.

V belts will always slap thats just life. My mates 302 clevo slaps worse than my clevo did yet he didn't/doesn't have an issue. Go figure??

Do what I have done and the problem will disappear

Brenden
Old 05-05-2004, 02:30   #7 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

while im not pulling as much revs as you people, and on an entirely different engine, i have also had belt-spitting problems (power steer belt, which would then fall into the alt/water pump belt and the AC one, and F*CK them all), replaced the crank pulley, power steer pump pulley, and the idler pulley, went through like 4 different belts (all of which had 'teeth' on the inside, finally got an AC Delco one (was like $5, i couldnt believe it!) and it fixed my prob.

seems no teeth on the EB I6 works a treat...

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 03:21   #8 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

It's to do with ratio's your putting heaps more rpm through them than they're designed for.I guess also with extra power it revs heaps quicker..
Either put a bigger pulley on alternator [there are various sizes]or smaller one on crank / ballancer...
Make sure you have CORRECT size belts..That fit into V properly....
I assume alignment is correct..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 04:23   #9 (permalink)
FPV-TC ACT Member

I agree with ebxr8240 - try different ratios for your pulleys in order to reduce the speed of the fan somewhat at high RPM. If you do that, because you are running higher RPMs than stock and have essentially reduced the fan speed at high RPM then it may need a SMALL thermo to compensate. I don't believe in just having thermos without some mechanical belt driven unit - electric units are well known for just dying when you need them most.

Good luck - keep the thread posted of results!!
bushute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 04:37   #10 (permalink)
FPV-TC ACT Member

Just had another thought. If you reduce your fan speed (via puller ratios) you can always just turn your heater on full speed if the temp guage gets high :) I have to do that with my old diesel hilux when running hard (like up a hill) in 38 deg plus temps.
bushute is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech