Cleaning fuel Injectors ? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2002, 02:11   #1 (permalink)

Cleaning fuel Injectors ?

I priced the fuel injectors for my EA the other day (CFI), $416 each. Bit rich for me, so I went and got a couple from the wreckers. Couple of questions:
1. Is the colour difference of any significance, the ones in my car are tan and the ones from the wreckers are yellow.
2. I can't afford to have the injectors professionally cleaned at the moment. So i was going to soak them in injector cleaner for a day or two and see how they go. Any feed back would be appreciated.
3.I'm also getting backfire from the car, while I'm driving. anyone with any ideas. All filters, plugs etc. have been replaced and timing and codes have been checked.
Axll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2002, 03:19   #2 (permalink)

It is easier to buy a set of reco'd ones and put them on. About $200 a set from a place in Albury that I know of, and a place in Ringwood (Vic) called Powerflow ( I think) They supply all O-rings too. Taks about an hour to do the lot.

The only good and successfull way to clean injectors is to sonicaly clean them. Back in the" old days" B.C. (before computers), there used to be a thing called a technical pen cleaner that used sonics to clean all the dried up ink etc. out of ink pens. This used to work VERY efectively on injectors, or so my Jaguar used to say, but mine broke (both Jag and pen cleaner) and I haven't been able to find another cleaner.

Maybe the yellow is a faded tan?

I think that there might be a reason for different colours. Ring up a Ford spares and ask them.

Backfire = stuffed plug lead or stuffed coil pack

Solution: replace both
creature3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 04:20   #3 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

different colors mean different injector, different operating pressures and flow rates. Becarful, if they arewrong you end up with a pig of a car.
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 16:41   #4 (permalink)
100 SPEED LIMITED SILVAEA

Location: gold coast and off playing with 32psi of boost pumping into 4.1lt of pure ohc feralness and developing a 350hp n/a kit for ea-au i6, also making 5.0lt gear soon enuf
i had backfiring problems with my xf but usually the following tip works with any car with a dizzy-
advance your ignition timing a touch and the backfire should go away cos whats happening is that the car is running to rich and burning up all the fuel its been given.

*note only advance it a few degrees at a time- so you catch the earliest point that it will ping for the fuel you use then back it of a little so it doesnt ping. you'll find that you'll have a little more go in it then to.

i did this to my ea when i statred using optimax/vortex/ultimate fuels i managed to get another 4 degrees of ignition timing and the cars fuel economy improved a little and performance went up a touch to
cheers.joe.

1000hp is underway. rods,pistons here!! t88 on its way!!
gm dstroya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 07:54   #5 (permalink)

Re: Cleaning fuel Injectors ?

I have an 2001 F150 supercrew with a 5.4L V8. I've started having problems out of it so I took it to the shop and the said that my coilpack was bad and that I needed new spark plugs, so I did that and it has been about 2 mounths and my truck started jerking again and it is miss fire in #4 and that is were that last problelm does anybody have anything they can tell me to help me?
whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 08:06   #6 (permalink)

Re: Cleaning fuel Injectors ?

Sounds like your #4 Cylinder is going bad. You may have a dead cylinder. Check the spark plug for oil, deposits, cracks, etc. I have a 96 Crown vic police interceptor and i myself have a bad #3 cylinder and bad injectors. My dead cylinder is caused by the oil ring missing from the piston. so i have an oil burner on there to keep it lasting a little bit longer. (I didn't put that there and i know it shouldn't be there, lol) But if you have a dead cylinder, time to rebuild.

I have my own question in fact, about my vic. This car sat up for 5 years (I know don't say it >.<; and so the old gas in it turned to sludge. I wasn't aware that the old gas was in there (I was lied to from a COP about this car, so yeah i got screwed.) Anyway, so it sludged up the tank, the filter, and the injectors. I was driving down the road the other day and it just started acting like i wasn't giving it gas, but it would idle. So I Dropped a 400 dollar fuel pump job to it, got it back, and bammo, drove like when i got it again...till the next day. It started doing the exact same thing. So I changed out the fuel pump thinking maybe they didn't do it for me. Nope, still putts down the road at about 10-15 mph. The most gas i give it, the more it wants to stall out and die. So I was told by my friend's uncle (mechanic) that we're gonna blow out the fuel injectors with a little trick he learned awhile back when he was younger. The thing is, when this cars sits for about half an hour to an hour. I get SOME of my power back, but then a few blocks later, it's doing it all over again.

I'm sure it's the injectors, but if someone else knows of some other solution that may solve this problem, I'd like to know. All spark plugs are new (Running plugs too weak for the engine till i get this problem fixed, i have a dead cylinder as i said earlier) and i'm getting good spark to all plugs. Codes read random cylinder misfires on 1, 3, 5, and 7, but never all in the same reading (cept for 3, that's the bad one)

Thanks in advance.
Rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech