I recently noticed that my clock/trip comp went dead on my ef2 Fairmont, so I rang my local ford and he said i wasnt dead (to my relief) but just a globe that he said was a comon fault in the EF to EL's? How hard is it to replace? and what sort of globe is it?
I've retro fitted one of those Futura clocks in my EF and must say i haven't had a problem with it.
But i know it wouldn't be too hard to fix. Front dash surround (Dark grey bit) has to come of to gain access to the clock.
One thats off the clock actually sits on the surround then you'll have to find a way to pull the back of the clock apart and see where the globe is. 9/10 it's the globe connection thats not right as opposed to a globe blown out.
I've had illuminate globes go on my ac switch's and odo meter.
Motor May 2001 Quote: "Believe it or not, there are actually a bunch of weirdos out there who reckon a six cylinder is the dux gutz. Bugger it: I'm one of them" :s5
AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6
(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
You can buy the bulb pretty much from many Garages.
(From those ?Austa? Yellow display things commonly found behined the counter).
Should cost a couple of dollars.
To get to the back of the trip computer/clock, you will need to take the Dash surround thing off.
To do this.
1) Remove the ashtray.
2) To the left of the ashtray, there is one screw, remove this screw.
3) The radio shroud should swing upwards from the top. Swing the shroud 45 degrees upwards. Remove the Cigarette lighter plug by squeezing the top clip, and pulling on the socket. Also remove the cigarette lighter lamp, by twisting the plug 90 degrees anticlockwise.
4) Remove the radio shroud by pulling it towards you.
5) Remove the two Philips head screws located above the Radio.
6) Remove the 3 Screws located above the instrument panel.
7) remove the screw located beneath the Door Unlock Switch
8) Remove the Screw located beneath the Fuel Flap Release switch.
9) Pull the main Dash Panel away from the Dash. There are three clips located at the top of this panel. and 1 clip located near the door unlock switch. It is normal for this part to require some force.
10) Once the clips have disengaged, lift the panel upwards, so as the two tabs located near the Shift console are disengaged.
This should give you enuf room to get to the Bulb holder.
If not, you may need to unplug some of the electrics.
11) unplug the clock by squeezing the connectors tab, and pulling it away from the clock. (If applicable)
12) Unplug the switches (Antennae Height adjust, Rear Window Demister, Door Lock/Unlock, Boot Release, Fuel Flap Release) Please note: with exception to the Fuel flap release, and Boot release switches, all the plugs are keyed so as to make it impossible to connect the wrong plugs to the wrong switches.
13) Remove the Main Panel. See figure 2.
To remove the bulb holder, simply twist it Clockwise, 90* (The one that you want to replace is the middle on, not the one that is sitting towards the right of the Trip computer unit.
The AutoGuide.com network consists of the largest network of enthusiast-owned enthusiast-operated automotive communities.
AutoGuide.com provides the latest car reviews, auto show coverage, new car prices, and automotive news. The AutoGuide network operates more than 100 automotive forums where our users consult peers for shopping information and advice, and share opinions as a community.