Clock/Trip Globe??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2002, 06:33   #1 (permalink)
EF2 Fairmont

Clock/Trip Globe???

I recently noticed that my clock/trip comp went dead on my ef2 Fairmont, so I rang my local ford and he said i wasnt dead (to my relief) but just a globe that he said was a comon fault in the EF to EL's? How hard is it to replace? and what sort of globe is it?
mr^messy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2002, 07:49   #2 (permalink)
P1mp Daddy

I got my auto sparky to change it on my mums el2 fairmont. Im pretty sure he took the dash off, but it only took him about 10 minutes.
Old 03-31-2002, 15:36   #3 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

I've retro fitted one of those Futura clocks in my EF and must say i haven't had a problem with it.

But i know it wouldn't be too hard to fix. Front dash surround (Dark grey bit) has to come of to gain access to the clock.

One thats off the clock actually sits on the surround then you'll have to find a way to pull the back of the clock apart and see where the globe is. 9/10 it's the globe connection thats not right as opposed to a globe blown out.

I've had illuminate globes go on my ac switch's and odo meter.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 16:39   #4 (permalink)

You can buy the bulb pretty much from many Garages.
(From those ?Austa? Yellow display things commonly found behined the counter).

Should cost a couple of dollars.

To get to the back of the trip computer/clock, you will need to take the Dash surround thing off.

To do this.

1) Remove the ashtray.
2) To the left of the ashtray, there is one screw, remove this screw.
3) The radio shroud should swing upwards from the top. Swing the shroud 45 degrees upwards. Remove the Cigarette lighter plug by squeezing the top clip, and pulling on the socket. Also remove the cigarette lighter lamp, by twisting the plug 90 degrees anticlockwise.
4) Remove the radio shroud by pulling it towards you.
5) Remove the two Philips head screws located above the Radio.
6) Remove the 3 Screws located above the instrument panel.
7) remove the screw located beneath the Door Unlock Switch
8) Remove the Screw located beneath the Fuel Flap Release switch.
9) Pull the main Dash Panel away from the Dash. There are three clips located at the top of this panel. and 1 clip located near the door unlock switch. It is normal for this part to require some force.
10) Once the clips have disengaged, lift the panel upwards, so as the two tabs located near the Shift console are disengaged.

---------------------------------------

This should give you enuf room to get to the Bulb holder.
If not, you may need to unplug some of the electrics.

11) unplug the clock by squeezing the connectors tab, and pulling it away from the clock. (If applicable)
12) Unplug the switches (Antennae Height adjust, Rear Window Demister, Door Lock/Unlock, Boot Release, Fuel Flap Release) Please note: with exception to the Fuel flap release, and Boot release switches, all the plugs are keyed so as to make it impossible to connect the wrong plugs to the wrong switches.
13) Remove the Main Panel. See figure 2.

--------------------------------------

To remove the bulb holder, simply twist it Clockwise, 90* (The one that you want to replace is the middle on, not the one that is sitting towards the right of the Trip computer unit.

Hope this helps !
Cheers
Matt
Xyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 18:43   #5 (permalink)
Ex Member

Smile

while youve got it open, flip the film upside down on the lcd screen, and youll have black didgits on a clear screen opposed to clear didgits on a black screen.

Duno, which one i preffer but i like to be different
Old 03-31-2002, 19:05   #6 (permalink)

Farq !!!!!
That sounds sweet !

Have you got any pics of wht it looks like when you do this ???
Xyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 00:45   #7 (permalink)
Ex Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fairlane Boy
while youve got it open, flip the film upside down on the lcd screen, and youll have black didgits on a clear screen opposed to clear didgits on a black screen.

Duno, which one i preffer but i like to be different
Sorry, forgot to mention

The original film is actualy laminated onto the lcd glass. it will need to be pealed off and replaced with one from a big screen calculator or something.. Dont know where one could buy it normaly.

its very risky and the screen cracks easily so only try it if you can afford to replace it
Old 04-01-2002, 00:49   #8 (permalink)
Ex Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fairlane Boy

Sorry, forgot to mention

The original film is actualy laminated onto the lcd glass. it will need to be pealed off and replaced with one from a big screen calculator or something.. Dont know where one could buy it normaly.

its very risky and the screen cracks easily so only try it if you can afford to replace it
And also, the contacts on the screen for the trip computer are the fragile rubber with carbon type. i wouldnt screw with that much.

the climate control screen actualy has soldered on legs so its a bit stronger. I might try it out when i get bored one day.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech