cloged cats - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2001, 07:22   #1 (permalink)
ED XR8 Member

cloged cats

I already have high flow cats on my xr8, but they seem to be cloging up. I was planning to gut the insides. I known the dust is bad stuff, but are there any tricks that make this job easier. Also does this make it much louder. Thanks.
grantj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2001, 18:11   #2 (permalink)
THE DOCTOR

the sound is awesome. trust me.
Old 07-15-2001, 01:36   #3 (permalink)
BSR Field Agent

I run a straight through Cat on my Six and she don't sound like no six anymore.... You will be looking at high 90's when it comes to Db....

Nipper...........
Nipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2001, 03:45   #4 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Call me a piker or whatever, but if you run broomstick Cats you are doing the following:

1. Exposing yourself to high levels of un/combusted benzene and its byproducts, especially if you use premium fuels. Benzene and many of its byproducts are carcinogenic
2. Being an idiot because you don't give a s*it about others, our future generations, or the environment in any way shape or form.

GROW UP and be responsible. The power gain from brooming your cats is negligible in the overall scheme of things.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2001, 06:47   #5 (permalink)
ED XR8 Member

The reason I asked was because my cats are stuffed, and I don't have the money right now to replace both of them. Removing cats does not expose you to benzene, it can under certain circumstances increase pollution. Cats are there only if the EFI computer doesn't keep the air fuel mixture correct, which some times it can't. After the introduction of unleaded petrol in the USA, studies by the government and private researches found that benzene levels did not increase without cats.
grantj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2001, 06:59   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by grantj
Removing cats does not expose you to benzene, it can under certain circumstances increase pollution. Cats are there only if the EFI computer doesn't keep the air fuel mixture correct, which some times it can't. After the introduction of unleaded petrol in the USA, studies by the government and private researches found that benzene levels did not increase without cats.
I don't think you have the right idea on this. The reason EFI is used is that the engine MUST run in a narrow fuel/air mixture range in order for the cats to work. If the mixture is too rich or lean the Cats cannot work. This is part of the reason cats don't work on diesels (current type cats anyhow - there are different types that do work, however other issues are holding them back).

As for benzene, stand behind a car running premium unleaded fuel and no cats. Tell me your eyes don't hurt or water. That is the effect of exposure to benzene/byproducts, and other pollutants. Also, the USA uses very different fuel to us.

Finally, without wanting to cause any arguments, and certainly not having a go at anyone specifically, if you can't afford to maintain a car catch public transport. It's like saying "I can't afford to buy a helmet to ride my bike", or "I can't afford to buy a lifejacket on my boat". If you can't - don't.

'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

Old 07-15-2001, 14:51   #7 (permalink)
Rail Rider

A car doesn't have to have EFI to have a cat, carb cars have 'em too.
Old 07-15-2001, 17:35   #8 (permalink)

Thing to remember about cats is that they only work when at operating temperature. Start your car first thing of a morning and you should notice a slight smell that won't be there once the cats heat up. They work on temperature and the way to tell if your cats are working as they should is that the temp of the cat should be double that of the pipes before and after.
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2001, 22:44   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by AlbertM
A car doesn't have to have EFI to have a cat, carb cars have 'em too.
Yes, but carbies became so complicated to meet the fuel mixture requirements (to make the cats work all the time) that they became too expensive and complex. That and the fact that emissions are much tighter now mean there is zero (?) cars available with carby now.

HSE2:
You are correct about warm up. That is why cats cast directly into exhaust manifolds are becoming more common since heat transfer is increased during warmup. Another reason for locating the cats as close to the engine as possible.

Old 07-15-2001, 23:55   #10 (permalink)

Thumbs down

I agree with Pete, if you cant afford to fix your car, then park it in the garage and walk to work till you do have enough cash! We all have to live in this environment aswell, theres enough polluting cars out there already without more people adding to it.

One option is to go to a Exhaust shop and ask them if they have any second hand Cats.

Also do you realise its a $10,000 fine if you get caught without Cats? If you cant afford a couple of hundred dollars for Cats then your surely not going to be able to afford a fine like that....
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech