Clunk/click FR on AU - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2003, 01:26   #1 (permalink)

Clunk/click FR on AU

Help! my AU front right makes this "clunk/click" noise/feeling !!
does anyone know what it might be? its happens on acceleration / deacceleration
ir33t is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2003, 04:55   #2 (permalink)
Driver of a BA XR8!

Check your sway bar bushes. I've had to change them on 3 of my AU's. It may be the problem.

Good Luck

Alex

"Give me any task to do, and I will find something else to do in it's place." Plato - a definition of procrastination
maco65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 21:29   #3 (permalink)

thanks wilk get them checked
AU Series 1 I6 Futura, 17" XR Series III Rims, Kings superlow springs and Bilstien shocks, K-MAC adjustable caber kit, xr8 snorkle, BMC Filter, EF a/box lid, custom storm water pipeing, pacemakers, h/flow cat, 2 1/2" zorst mandrel bent, dyno'd @ 117.2kwrw b4 bmc
Old 01-26-2003, 02:01   #4 (permalink)
Red-i

My AU1 also makes a clunking noise when turning look to lock ie. when reversing into the driveway, gettting into and out of parking spots. The noise is quite loud and the ford service agent said he tightend the steering rack bolts as they were loose but noise is still there! I've got the tickford suspension and planning to fit King s/low's but want to sort out the clunking b 4 I do.
Old 01-26-2003, 09:26   #5 (permalink)

steering rack?
snavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 20:35   #6 (permalink)

Upper ball joints?
steed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 01:36   #7 (permalink)

Definately the ball joints, had the problem with my AUII, the service manager said this was a very common problem. I had to wait a few weeks for mine as they were in the process of releasind a modified version of the ball joint. It should be readily available by now.
Old 01-27-2003, 22:51   #8 (permalink)
Red-i

dk_falconS, which ball joints were replaced? upper or lower? Also do you know if they'd fit on my AU1 as yours is AU2? Do you have a part no.? Heard noise again today as I left for work, contacted for service near by but he said he knows nothing about it being a common complaint/problem.
Old 02-03-2003, 22:58   #9 (permalink)

Mine only happens when the car has wrmed up a bit, also i was in the driveway today with the car in PARK and it clicks/clunks when i rock it side to side standing still
AU Series 1 I6 Futura, 17" XR Series III Rims, Kings superlow springs and Bilstien shocks, K-MAC adjustable caber kit, xr8 snorkle, BMC Filter, EF a/box lid, custom storm water pipeing, pacemakers, h/flow cat, 2 1/2" zorst mandrel bent, dyno'd @ 117.2kwrw b4 bmc
Old 02-03-2003, 23:44   #10 (permalink)

Lightbulb

Upper balljoints is usually the problem on AU 2 models. A batch of ball joints was released into production with an incorrect specification grease. Ford have now released a Workshop Bulletin to all dealers with a new tool that lifts the rubber gaiter and injects the new and correct specification grease into the balljoint. If the ball joint is damaged then it should be replaced under warranty as this is a well documented problem. Make sure you insist on the dealer undertaking awheel alignment at the same time....also under warranty.
disco2au is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech