Ford Forums banner

cold air intake

3K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  gmanEA 
#1 ·
ANyone know where I can buy cold air intake, I want cold compressed air and i want it bad, then big air filter for the addictive sound.

G
#2 ·
If you want compressed air then yer gonna need a turbo or supercharger. Then if you want that air too be cold then yer gonna need an intercooler. All this will cost you big $$$. The best you can do without a turbo is a cold ram-air intake.
You can get conical high-flow filters from supercheap/autobarn
and can even buy some tubing from a hardware store. Just find a nice free air flowing place near the bottom of the engine bay and route the piping up to the throttle body (MPFI only) This is prolly the best you can do on the 3.9L. As for myself, ive opted to go for the K&N pod filter coz i noticed that the round one picked up alot of engine heat and basically its very difficult to get the ram flow into the round filter anyway.

Cheers

Brent

#4 ·
ok u have to hear a mpfi engine without the airbox cover, if sounds AMAZING, so yea a pod filter makes all the difference sound wise, performance well depends. But the lid creates a ram air effect and the lid also keeps induction noise down, which u dont want.

G
#6 ·
Re: How is it done?

Stoj, Man i dont have any exhaust on my car yet, so it doesnt matter what i use on the intake... it sounds the same too me :) All i can say is that i tried both the conical with a
extention pipe and the plain pod filter (both hi-flows) and the pod felt like it was delievering more power. I think mainly coz my engine runs quite warm and the round filter was sucking in all the hot air. Im not keen on running a round filter under the car's chasis as it would soon become saturated in water and dust.

Cheers

Brent

G
#8 ·
Re: How is it done?

Thanks for the info Brent, wasnt sure whether the 120 dollars was worth getting a panel filter, so i might give the pod one a go. Im not to keen on exhausts, as my friend has a lancer and i get a headache every time im in the car for more than 5 minutes. Havent heard much about the exhaust for the EA yet.

91 EA Spak, the best way to get cool air is to channel the air using flexible piping, and also by creating a heat shield around the filter. There was an article on autospeed.com.au which showed how to find the best place on the car to channel the air from, using a pressure sensor and tubing. Knock urself out dood.If u can access the entire article, gimmie a yell (sto@optushome.com.au) and will be glad to email it to ya.

.......Stoj :)

G
#9 ·
cold air

Had the same probs. as most, sucking hot air. What i have done, still temp till it is done properly is make a plastic box that the pod filter sits in. It has an opening on one side to suck in air. The big test was the other day in Melb. when we had that hot windy day, the day i installed this thing. It ran excellent, not the bogged down feeling i would of normally got. The opening of the box sits towards the back of the headlight and near that round opening in the side of the gaurd so it gets relatively cool air compared to if it were fully exposed sucking air from everywhere.

G
#11 ·
Re: cold

I wouldnt recommend running a pipe from under the car, as your more likey to get water on the filter. As for the side guard, i dont know how yours is setup exacly, but ive seen people put pipes all the way so the filter sits inside the guard, and the connector to the pipe is right on the edge. Although you may get the cleanes air, the guard os one of a few places that have the lowest air pressure and may lose power.

....Stoj

#12 ·
IDEA

Could you run a pipe from a meshed hole in the front bar to inside the engine bay to a filter for a cold air intake.... ive seen it done on commos could this be possible??????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.