cold air intake - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2002, 09:02   #1 (permalink)
Ford Veteran

cold air intake

ANyone know where I can buy cold air intake, I want cold compressed air and i want it bad, then big air filter for the addictive sound.
gmanEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2002, 09:59   #2 (permalink)
Brent79

If you want compressed air then yer gonna need a turbo or supercharger. Then if you want that air too be cold then yer gonna need an intercooler. All this will cost you big $$$. The best you can do without a turbo is a cold ram-air intake.
You can get conical high-flow filters from supercheap/autobarn
and can even buy some tubing from a hardware store. Just find a nice free air flowing place near the bottom of the engine bay and route the piping up to the throttle body (MPFI only) This is prolly the best you can do on the 3.9L. As for myself, ive opted to go for the K&N pod filter coz i noticed that the round one picked up alot of engine heat and basically its very difficult to get the ram flow into the round filter anyway.

Cheers

Brent
Old 03-19-2002, 11:43   #3 (permalink)
stoj34

hey brent, does it sound any different ? cos ppl have been saying the pod sounds crazy....just wondering if the in box one does too...?

....Stoj
Old 03-19-2002, 12:36   #4 (permalink)

ok u have to hear a mpfi engine without the airbox cover, if sounds AMAZING, so yea a pod filter makes all the difference sound wise, performance well depends. But the lid creates a ram air effect and the lid also keeps induction noise down, which u dont want.
madEAs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 14:50   #5 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

How is it done?

Can anyone tell how they install a cold air intake? what parts are needed where the pipe attaches etc.
I have no idea and i want that sound big time!!
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 10:17   #6 (permalink)
Brent79

Re: How is it done?

Stoj, Man i dont have any exhaust on my car yet, so it doesnt matter what i use on the intake... it sounds the same too me :) All i can say is that i tried both the conical with a
extention pipe and the plain pod filter (both hi-flows) and the pod felt like it was delievering more power. I think mainly coz my engine runs quite warm and the round filter was sucking in all the hot air. Im not keen on running a round filter under the car's chasis as it would soon become saturated in water and dust.

Cheers

Brent
Old 03-20-2002, 19:06   #7 (permalink)
91 EA Spak

I have a pod filter but I took it off as I found it loosing power when its under the bonet sucking in hot air. Does any1 know what I can do to get cold air to it?
Old 03-20-2002, 20:14   #8 (permalink)
stoj34

Thanks for the info Brent, wasnt sure whether the 120 dollars was worth getting a panel filter, so i might give the pod one a go. Im not to keen on exhausts, as my friend has a lancer and i get a headache every time im in the car for more than 5 minutes. Havent heard much about the exhaust for the EA yet.

91 EA Spak, the best way to get cool air is to channel the air using flexible piping, and also by creating a heat shield around the filter. There was an article on autospeed.com.au which showed how to find the best place on the car to channel the air from, using a pressure sensor and tubing. Knock urself out dood.If u can access the entire article, gimmie a yell (sto@optushome.com.au) and will be glad to email it to ya.

.......Stoj :)
Old 03-20-2002, 20:45   #9 (permalink)
mickt

cold air

Had the same probs. as most, sucking hot air. What i have done, still temp till it is done properly is make a plastic box that the pod filter sits in. It has an opening on one side to suck in air. The big test was the other day in Melb. when we had that hot windy day, the day i installed this thing. It ran excellent, not the bogged down feeling i would of normally got. The opening of the box sits towards the back of the headlight and near that round opening in the side of the gaurd so it gets relatively cool air compared to if it were fully exposed sucking air from everywhere.
Old 03-20-2002, 20:55   #10 (permalink)
EB 2 GHIA

cold

Is there anywhere you could run a 3 inch pipe to the bottom of the engine bay under the car, up to a pod??? i cant find a way??? not enough room
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech