cold air intake advice - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2001, 13:06   #1 (permalink)
waz

cold air intake advice

Hey, don't really fit in here, I don't own a XR series, but I do own a EF V8 Falcon and this is the only forum I have found that seems to be regularly attended.
So I will ask advise here, I have had a look at the techpage and found the cold air induction mod, I was going to do this to my falcon but on inspection I found that there is an Electrical box/motor directly in the way where I want to run my piping from the bumper intake to the bottom of the airbox, and not a hell alot of room to go anywhere else, can anyone help me out with a cold air mod for my EF.
waz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2001, 14:02   #2 (permalink)
slim

yes that thing you see in the way of where you want to run the duct is your ABS. Unlike on AU's where they have it mounted next to the radiator overflow tank.

People you should contact to find out how to do this cold air-intake would be either Mike or Warwick. I know Mike lurks around in here sometimes maybe he might read this :)~
If not post a message on the NSW Tickford owners club mailing list
http://www.nswxrclub.org.au/list.asp
Old 10-11-2001, 19:31   #3 (permalink)
RAT

Hi Waz, I did the intake you have seen on the tech pages & yes the ABS is in the way of the straight line direction from the brake duct opening to the underside of the airbox. By using the flexible 3inch silicon race ducting shown you can run it around the module & back up into position for the hole made into the base of the airbox/metal. The photos shown are off an EL XR8 & the only other thing you should note is that the plastic inner guard lining will have to be removed altogether (has to come off anyway to do the mod) or you can trim a section out of it so the pipe is not compressed, should want to reinstate it. I found the piping better because it was easier & quicker to manipulate than rigid pvc pipe although the pvc has a much smoother flow characteristic. The intake set up does work & offers a noticeable difference in driveability. Good luck.
RAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 21:53   #4 (permalink)
Mike

Hehe yep Sammy, I am lurking! :)

Waz - it certainly is a tight fit with the ABS module. On mine it was VERY snug, but turned out pretty well. You just have to drill the hole very carefully and be sure not to sever any ABS lines running beside the module. If you like I can dig up a pic for you, but it's similiar to the one we already have up here on the site. I have several others as well that may be useful.

Cheers
Mike
Old 10-12-2001, 09:46   #5 (permalink)
waz

Hey, thanks guys, I thought it was the ABS, just wasn't sure, well if it can be done then I'll do it.

Rat, you mention "Silicon" race ducting, I thought anything silicon in the intake system would damage the oxygen sensor.

Mike, any photos you have would be a help,
If you could point me to a link or even email them to me at hawk127@westnet.com.au, it would be appreciated.

waz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2001, 11:24   #6 (permalink)
RAT

Waz, the duct I used was a bonded wire/cord piece coated in a rubberized membrane. According to the supplier, it has a coating of silicon for heat protection, This type of ducting is used in most race cars that I've seen, from intakes to brake cooling & I've had the same gear on my Porsche for years. In any event the air enters at the base of the box & has to pass through the filter before it goes any further.
RAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech