Colour Coding Door Handles - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2002, 21:03   #1 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

Colour Coding Door Handles

Hi guys....seem to have begun a colour coding mission...just finished my mirrors and it looks great, makes the car look cleaner/newer. Just wanted to check with you guys before attacking it. How do I remove the door handles from the door and also how do I dismantle them for painting?
Im guessing theyre secured by nuts/bolts which you get to from inside the door etc but just wanted to save myself a bit of time and a few grey hairs!
thanks guys!

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2002, 22:33   #2 (permalink)
Desiring 800HP

Just held on with two nuts from behind the door trim and the control rod is held in with a split piece of plastic which you have to squeeze with pliers to pull off from the handle. To dismantle, the actual lever part of the handle is just held on by another split piece of plastic which needs to be squeezed and pulled out (very easily broken) with pliers
To easy!!!

The ea handles have to be sanded a bit to get them nice and smooth or just use eb or ed handles or use el ones like i have they look the goods!!! and have no locks for thieving bustards to bugger up
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 23:09   #3 (permalink)
Not Fast Enough, Dammit!

I reckon you should put EF/EL ones on for sure, they make the car look so much beter. Of course it would be easier to find some in the same color!
I've also attached a pic (sorry - i hijacked it from someone here on FF:hrm: )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eb - silver - side.jpg (42.5 KB, 118 views)
Old 12-14-2002, 23:37   #4 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

Thanks for the help and pics,
the EF-EL handles do look pretty sweet! Will have a look into that, if not I will just paint mine, I reckon theyd look pretty good. I will most likely use primer filler as if you sand plastic back too smooth the paint doesnt stick quite as well.

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 02:47   #5 (permalink)

Thumbs up painted door handles

If you are going to paint the original handles,you will need to first clean the plastic with an anti static cleaner then use a good brand of platic primer eg: PPG. (no sanding is reqd as this will stuff the texture of the plastic).Once the primer is on you are set for painting and the handles should come up a treat.
parkerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 03:38   #6 (permalink)
brenlam

So door handles off eb's, ed's and ef's would fit straight on to my ea gl. I have 4 already painted white door handles that i was given by a guy who used to own an ed limo (i think might have been ef not too sure???) that would look heaps good on my car just wasnt sure whether they'd fit or not?
Old 01-06-2003, 04:35   #7 (permalink)
E-Series Cameraman

Parkerboy I used plastic primer when painting my handles, it was the Powerplus stuff. Several coats didn't make them smooth, and neither did the colour coats. You could still see and feel the texture like if it wasn't painted. So I have to do them again but sand them or use spray putty.

Alex
The Goodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 14:02   #8 (permalink)

Thumbs up door handles

Thats right goodz,you wont get the texture out. The primer is to make the paint stick and thats all.If a smooth finish is desired then like the other guys said,use later model handles.
parkerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 15:15   #9 (permalink)
brenlam

Just on the colour coded mirrors. Where did u get them or did u paint the old ones? If they were painted how did u do it (paint, sanding etc.)? If you bought them how much did they cost and where did u get em?

Thanks in advance
Old 01-06-2003, 19:07   #10 (permalink)
V8 XW Ute/APV Kitted EBII

Question Door Handles

Guys, just to clarify a point,

The EF/L door handles use the same bolt holes as the EB ones im assumming, and then with the passenger side control rod to the door lock, do you just remove this as it wont be used?..

If this is a piece of piss to fit, which it sounds like it is, then I better go find some at a wrecker!

Good Stuff

And whoevers car that is above, here it is again, but I have lowered it for that ultra tuff look.

ViGiLaNtE
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech