Ford Forums banner

complete respray??

4K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  CATman 
G
#1 ·
hey guys, basically i was just wondering how much a complete respray would be for the ea? has anyone had theres done? would it be easier to prime it myself (meaning just sanding the old colour back) and hand it to the paint dudes that way. tell you the truth, i couldn't be ****ed doing that, so how much all up???

Also the cfi to a mpefi???? how much does that cost????

well while i am here....i am probobly annoying you by now... how much (and also HOW) does tinting your brake lights cost? and can you even do it. and would you even bother???

ok ok ok...one more thing (SORRY!!!!) 88 ea, thin side stripe thingies compared to the ea2?? if you have the 88, can you put the ea2 model stripes on it, if you didn't like the thin ones??

anyways, thanks for your help!!

hehehe

Jaymz

#2 ·
1. A respray is something you can spend as much as you want on. Any rust removal adds to the cost. I've heard of ones for only $700 or something but last time this topic was raised, people said $2000 was cheap?

CFI to MPI - cost again varies depending on the use of new components and so on. I am likely to be making a section of the site that will hopefully go into this issue in more detail.

Tinting brake lights could be as easy as using a $10 tinting spray, but there are safety issues as well as legal ones. I have heard of clear rear indicators here before but never seen them. If they exist, that would be the way I'd go.

The lower model EAs with the thin side protection mouldings - if you look closely - actually have exactly the same large door cut-outs. Therefore it would be pretty easy to change over to the thicker kind.

G
#3 ·
ta!!

good onya mate thanks alot for that. it's great when yous help out!! i am can't wait to get my hands on an ea!!! wooooo!!!!!

oh and the colour i was going to get resprayed was "midnight purple" hehe, it is a really cool colour, either that or metallic blue or something!

#4 ·
respray

mate i had my ea resprayed inside and out.....it was a 'cashie' and i only paid $1200. If i had my choice again, I'd never do this. It is a shit job even though it looks alright, look a bit closer and there are lots of imperfections. For a full respray from a good panel shop you'll be paying at least $3k I reckon.

G
#5 ·
Make sure the ppls who respray ya car dont do a bodgey job like musking tape. and if they fix the rust they weld in new metel, some of these wankers just put bog then 3 months later it cracks up. i seen a panel shop near batman station in Coburg(victoria) i think they do full reprays only, no minor damage repairs. they take the whole car to bits only the shell. thats the way to go

#6 ·
For my cfi to mpfi conversion, i did it myself and paid $260 all up for it. runs awesome now.
I paid:

$60 for computer

$100 for manifold, with all injectors etc. (off a 4l eb)

$50 for fuel pump (off an ef - higher volume pump)

the rest was on other bits and pieces, bits of hose, gaskets, paint...

then i got a new $80 pod filter for $30... but that's a long story...
the car sounds a lot better with it on, and when you floor it you can hear it open up... so sweet...

I rewired it myself, not too hard, can send you wiring diagrams and help if you'd like.

it's well worth doing! with this i manage to get wheel spins with a 4 speed auto and a 2.7 diff - no brake burnouts, no turned wheels!

as for the side strip things, i have an eaII and it's got the thin ones on. I took them off to paint them black, and they're just glued on so i'd say that you can change them with the wide ones

#8 ·
Originally posted by CATman
a decent job should got nethign from 2k up to 15k depends on what u want. [/B]
They are the key words.. It all depends on what you want.

I suggest you figure out what you want, by this I mean pearls, metrallic, shine quality and how fussy you want to be with rippels etc.

There is a HUGE difference in price to doing a quick job, or being real fussy.

When I did my car, I spent 3 months on it. I then sprayed my parents commo and I had it done in a week.
Also, the paint on the commo cost less then half of what mine did.

Just my 2c on the issue.

#9 ·
Id have to agree with $3K - Ive had one side of my car resprayed coz someone side-swiped my side door and i wanted the whole side resprayed, cost me $900, did an excellent job too... when ive got some spare moola i'll get the drivers side done too :)
I still cant believe i had too fork out over $2K for a MPI conversion! Thankfully im getting a T5 for under $200!! Lets just hope i dont get ripped on the installation!

Brent

#11 ·
i work in the "industry" and u'll find with a cheaper job, they will jsut prime ur car up and just nock the top of the primer wif the orbital sander and then paint, then u get the people who will block a car, prime it again, block again, prime block, and then paint, this car will be most likly PERFECT, and that what i woudl want done, i know at my work, cheaper jobs r done quick and the other ones r done better, so u get what you pay for, and some times u will kick ur self for "bargening" withi the owener for a matter of say 500 when it woudl ahve been MUCH better if u paid more

#14 ·
Hey everyone....

Just got my EF Fairmont sprayed,I paid 4 Grand, for an 8-10 grand job thru a mate. The paint is a custom pearl mix, and the body has been modifed in small tasteful ways. It looks awesome, but it wouldn't have happened if It werent for my mate.

My advice, go to an enthusiast, not just some blokes paint job, and make sure you tell them exactly what you want, no use paying hard earned money, the job getting done, and you deciding you wanted something else done. Right a list of the things you want from the job, and any shop who won't take the list doesn't deserve your business.

Regards my friends.....

#20 ·
I'll post some picks as soon as my scanner starts working again, with the body mods and the respray it hardly looks like a Fairmont anymore, so different from standard now it is laughable.

And yeah, the pearls cam thru really well, under a nice sunny day the car sparkles with the gold pearl, clear as a bell, while the blue pearl comes out mostly from street lights and headlights.

Posting a pic will not do this job justice, at least you can see the body mods though, you should see the job this dude did with my washer jets, he relocatted them under the bonnet and filled the old holes with new metal and welded them up. It is hard to tell they where ever there.

Regards my friends

#21 ·
Im also seriously considering a nice new paintjob, ahem since she's getting toward her 15th birthday. Since my car is in the ivory white colour im desperate for a change! Though I know this change is going to cost money. If I change the colour to say British Racing Green or Midnight Blue or Maranello Red im expecting atleast 6-12k just for this. Anyone done a full bare metal two-pack respray to a new colour and if so how much dough was asked?

Cheers!
Fonzie

#22 ·
Fonz, bair metal respray would b a VERY expensive way to go, it would b better to paint over the top of ur existing paint, and neway EA's are already 2 pac paint, but for a full change it would b quite expensive, i would think that ur estamate of 6k would b pritty close.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.