a/con leaking water - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2002, 23:29   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

a/con leaking water

I have recently purchased a 1991 EB fairmont ghia. When driving last weekend i heard a loud bang, like a tyre blow out, i pulled up but could not see any problems.
However since that noise there has been cold water leaking out on our feet both sides, and when turning hard left it pours out from up under the center console area.
Anybody got any ideas????????????
teal_ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2002, 04:47   #2 (permalink)
donuts2001

I don't think it's your air con, sounds more like your heater coil has exploded under pressure!!

Have you checked your coolant level recently? You can test if your heater coil is leaking by turning your heater on with the motor on and seeing if water pisses out the passengers side.

If it is that, I'd get it fixed pronto.
Old 12-21-2002, 04:49   #3 (permalink)

Strange incident.

But i can say one thing.
The evaporator under the dash i believe is freezing up (ice around the coils). Have a look at your thermostat or TX (expansion valve) or there might be dirt in the evap coils.

Does your a/c pump clutch cut in and out or is it staying on all the time, if it stays engaged all the time, the thermo is well suspected.

Also check your rubber tube that should exit the firewall to the outside, this tube drains the water from the evap coil to drain outside.
It is a pain in the butt of a spot to see it too.
EA Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 01:49   #4 (permalink)
Ford Member

Yep the drain pipe was blocked, took it to an aircon place, cost me $40 and took about 20 mins. Thanks Guys
teal_ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 22:58   #5 (permalink)

Finally stopped my car p*ssing all over my feet. Fitted a length of tubing about 9" long from the drain pipe in the engine compartment, arching down. It draws water out better now and has stopped leaking.

I suspect the design of the aircon drain system isn't quite optimal. Oh well.. can go around left hand corners as fast as i want now!
eskyboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 19:12   #6 (permalink)
Australian BA XR6 Falcon

There is nothing wrong with the actual design, you may find that someone has removed/replaced the heater box and didn't align the drain pipe which is fairly easy to do.

Kieron
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 21:20   #7 (permalink)

I just had this problem on the weekend, allthough the freezing water was only leaking onto my girlfriends feet! I suspect my drainhole is blocked or something. I will check it out one day, but it was leaking between the evaporator box and fan speed controller...
Old 02-16-2003, 05:15   #8 (permalink)
Con

same problem in my ef

i have the same problem in that the pasenger side carpet has started to rot out and the underlay is screwed. Also my car uses so much coolant i fill it up when i put petrol in it. I can see the aircon hose sticking out of the fire wall and water does drip from it but it looks as if its broken off so maybe when im driving the air is forcing the water back up into the car. it comes into the car behind the rubber thats against the firewall on the passenger side i havent looked behind the rubber yet but if anyone has and ideas all help is appreciated
Cheers,
Con
Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 03:23   #9 (permalink)

Re: same problem in my ef

Quote:
Originally posted by Con
i have the same problem in that the pasenger side carpet has started to rot out and the underlay is screwed. Also my car uses so much coolant i fill it up when i put petrol in it. I can see the aircon hose sticking out of the fire wall and water does drip from it but it looks as if its broken off so maybe when im driving the air is forcing the water back up into the car. it comes into the car behind the rubber thats against the firewall on the passenger side i havent looked behind the rubber yet but if anyone has and ideas all help is appreciated
Cheers,
Con
if water is leaking inside and out of the a/c drain, and your coolant level is going down. you've got a hole in your heater core. disconnect your heater pipes off the core in the engine bay and join them together for the moment until you have time to get you heater core fixed . or you might do your motor or head gasket
XR8MICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech