Concerns with my car... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2002, 21:31   #1 (permalink)
Can't get enough of it!

Question Concerns with my car...

Hi guys 'n' girls,

I'm a newish Xr6 owner and I have some concerns that I'm not sure are valid or not, hence I'm after some advice from the knowledgeable ones in here! :s2:

I have an AUII XR6, VCT (5-speed manual). Registered in Nov 2000 and had done about 8k when I bought it in May, it's now done about 18k.

I absolutely LOVE the car, but there's a bit of a clunking noise that exhibits itself occasionally that has me concerned. It sounds as if it's from the rear of the vehicle.

It appears to occur mostly when reversing slowly, or when coasting to a stop at traffic lights etc. I think it's there at other times, but I'm not sure. To the non-technical me, it sounds like a banging muffler (stop laughing), but I've visually checked all that I can with no success.

I've also had a single 'clunk' as I start off after a stop, but that's from the front-end somewhere (sounds like RH front corner, but...). This comes and goes.

I also have a rattle in the RH passenger door, that's been "fixed" once but come back! Drives me mad....

Oh yeah, the other thing is that sometimes 1st gear is real hard to select after you've stopped at lights etc. On occasion, I've had to put into neutral, clutch, declutch, clutch and try again. I've reported this and was told that it was tested and that it was 'within tolerances'.

All of these things are intermittent, should I make a pain of myself down at the local dealer, or is this 'normal'?

All advice appreciated. I must stress that I love the car, but didn't have these noises on the previous EL Futura, so....

Regards,

Simon....

PS: Yes, I have had the 15k service performed - no bad reports.
Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2002, 21:41   #2 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

Simon,

The diff is a known issue. You can get more info on it by using the search button and look for diff clunk. Take it back to dealer and get them to fix it...

PS. Holden's have the same problem...
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2002, 22:39   #3 (permalink)
Can't get enough of it!

Quote:
Diff clunks on trailing throttle and when you come to a slow stop
That was from another quote. Sounds like what I was trying to say! :s2:

I'll have a chat to the service department. Thanks, Jase_ELXR8, for the heads up on that message.

Simon....
Old 01-02-2002, 00:04   #4 (permalink)
Ford Freak!

AUIIXR6,

How goes it? Have an AUII XR6HP myself (built also in Nov 2000) and it had a really annoying clunking noise from the front of the car. Also have done about the same amount of k's as you. The clunking noise wasn't noticeable with normal driving, but was really bad stopping and starting in bumper to bumper traffic (the joys of living in Sydney). I thought the problem might be a sticking brake caliper or something. Took the car in for its 15,000km service the other day and they sorted the problem. They said it was the ball joints clicking, so they did something a rather to them (I know they didn't replace them) and it has gone away. I had an AUI XR6HP before this car and didn't have any of these problems with it, so it may be a build problem in Nov 2000.

Mention the issue to your Ford dealer (tell them my story if you have to) in case they are hopeless and can't work it out. They are probably aware of it anyway (ie. it's a recall they'll pick-up when they do your service if you mention it, but they won't go to the hassle to notify everyone that may have the fault).

Hope this helps you out.:s6:

"You wouldn't be dead for quids!"
mikenicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 19:49   #5 (permalink)
Future BA XR6T Pilot

AUIIXR6

A friend of mine just picked up his AUIII Fairmont and it had a clunking sound when coming to a stop. He took it back to the dealer and they said that the ball joints were buggered and would have to be repaced. It couldn't be done immediately because apparently there is a big back log of cars that need to have them fixed.

One would think that since 1998 when the AU came out, they could get rid of problems like these.

Krusic
krusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 23:20   #6 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

Thumbs down Ball Joint knock

New Ford balljoints are still knocking we have 20 new Falcons at work & they all knock.Ford had problems with the pinch bolt to begin with , I dont know why they keep changing these things.When your on a good thing stick to it. Its not good engineering , one day im going to meet one of these designers & stuff him or her up the exhaust pipe.
pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 02:33   #7 (permalink)
NSW TICKFORD OWNERS CLUB

whoa..i thought I was theonly one@!!..have a April 2001 AU2 XR6 VCT, hashad from day one, that annoying front clunk on slowing down and starting, Ford has had it twice and they say 'i dunno or cant hear anything'. Had its 15,000 last week and still no answers, but there you go, its a known issue !?!?....

Falcon Good - Falcon Unbelievable
dkmaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 20:38   #8 (permalink)
Can't get enough of it!

Hmmm, I wonder how many drivers there are that think "Is it just me?" and there are heaps of them?

My XR's booked in to go into the dealers on Wednesday. I've reported the clunk's on starts, the diff thunking and the hard 1st gear occasionally.

Would you believe that it's hardly done it since? :crazy1:

I can reproduce the diff thunk reasonably easily though, so we'll see how we go. I think I'll take one of the 'techs' for a drive.

Regards,

Simon....
Old 01-06-2002, 20:58   #9 (permalink)
NSW TICKFORD OWNERS CLUB

eek

ahhh...i forgot to mention my diff was replaced at the 5000km mark also!!!...

Falcon Good - Falcon Unbelievable
dkmaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 22:16   #10 (permalink)
Can't get enough of it!

Thanks guys,

I'll let you know the results of the service tomorrow. I'm going to tell them that if they can't reproduce the noises, to give me a yell and I'll come and take them for a drive. I reckon I can make it happen again.

Regards,

Simon....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech