Confused... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2004, 16:07   #1 (permalink)
XB Pilot

Confused...

Okay, I had to extend the wire loom going to the starter motor so I could clear the extractors, but I forgot which way the spade went.
Anyway, I can't start the engine up yet because of a lack of a radiator, but I kicked it over but it just seemed to turn in the wrong direction. It might be because I was standing behind the engine instead of in front, but its got me slightly worried.

Is ti possible for me to have wired the thing up wrong and crank the engine the wrong way?
I would have though no due to the gearing mechanisms in the starter motor, but I wouldn't mind some assurance.

when looking at the engine from the front, does the engine turn clockwise or anti-clockwise??

Thanks

Simon
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2004, 18:04   #2 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

Re: Confused...

Mate i am pretty sure the starter wont turn in the wrong direction, due to the through out. I may be wrong, do you have a workshop manual or anything like that?
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 18:21   #3 (permalink)
XB Pilot

Yeah, thats what I thought, but I had one of those niggling doubts follow me around and thought I better check.
The workshop doesn't actually state anything about the connections directly and the wiring schematics up the back displayed different coloured wires than the ones I had

If it was to turned the wrong way, couldn't really do any harm could it, apart from just not starting??

Simon
Old 02-26-2004, 19:47   #4 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

The big wire to the back of the starter is a postive, so unless you stuffed that one, impossible to get it backwards, the other thing on the strater is just a solenoid, it neads a negative to throw the gear of the starter onto the flywheel to start the car, so if you got it all backwards, tghe spades should both be negative from memory and wouldnt matter........... well thats my opinion

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech