Constant Rattle From XF Rear End - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2003, 01:53   #1 (permalink)
mmm..Vee 8

Constant Rattle From XF Rear End

Hey Guys,

Ive got a constant "metallic" rattle from the rear end of my XF, which can be heard with the radio off, and the windows down. I also find that when i press or let go of the accelerator i can also hear a loud "clang" from the rear end as well. Mechanics have checked out the brakes and they are all OK.

Id suspect bushes were the problem??

Thanks in advance!

5/1994 ED Futura Classic 5.0 in Polyneisan Green - One of the last ever built
Extreme_2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2003, 15:36   #2 (permalink)

mine does the same thing. i also think its the bushes and am planning to get under there sometime soon and have a look. Another thing that i've noticed since hearing that noise is when doing corners at high speeds the diff feels like its moving undernieth the car, could this be the watts link?
cheers
PhatXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 16:45   #3 (permalink)
F*#K the government

Commonly it is the rear pads rattling, to find out, just apply the brakes lightly as u hear the rattle, if the rattle goes away it is most likey the rear pads. Sometimes it's a bastard to remove the pads as the caliper pins often sieze, if u get them out, just put some silastic between the pad and the caliper and noise is gone.

Can be other things but this is a common one.
Old 02-02-2003, 16:59   #4 (permalink)
V8 XW Ute/APV Kitted EBII

Read Rattle

Just a stab in the dark here ok...Open up your boot and look under the parcel shelf...do you see the 2 metal rods that go across the width of the car under there?...They are tension rods that lift your boot up...are they rattling together??...Mine did and it shit me to tears...If so put some foam in between them.

ViGiLaNtE
Old 02-03-2003, 02:24   #5 (permalink)
mmm..Vee 8

Noticing now if i press the brakes the rattle stops...although ive had the brakes checked out and they are OK??

Time to go to pedders i guess!

Extreme

5/1994 ED Futura Classic 5.0 in Polyneisan Green - One of the last ever built
Extreme_2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 03:54   #6 (permalink)
F*#K the government

Quote:
Originally posted by Extreme_2020
Noticing now if i press the brakes the rattle stops...although ive had the brakes checked out and they are OK??

Time to go to pedders i guess!

Extreme
They might have checked the brakes, but did they check if they can move the pads?
Anyway it wont hurt to put it on pedders tester, brings the noises out of anything.
Old 02-03-2003, 04:06   #7 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

My ea is the same, not so much a rattle tho, more the noise a worn out bush makes when the metal rubs. This also causes he clunk on acclerating / decellerating. Yeah my bush on the upper arm is rooted. Why did ford make that one half the size of the rest ?
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech