Convert Auto V8 ECU to Manual - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2003, 09:46   #1 (permalink)

Convert Auto V8 ECU to Manual

Greetings, I have an NC Fairlane 302 EFI engine for my Cobra which has an ECU and all other electric's for an Auto. Number on the ECU is 1DHA. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to convert it to run as a manual. Also, does anyone know what the number would be for a manual ECU of the same year or where I could get one. I believe the auto's had no BAP sensor and the manuals did and I have been told that I can use a MAP sensor off a 6cyl without connecting the vac as a BAP. I would like to know what mods I need to do to the ECU itself. Thanks in advance. Cheers
Cobra Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2003, 02:29   #2 (permalink)
a vile merchant

Re: Convert Auto V8 ECU to Manual

I think the ECU would be exactly the same as ithose V8's had a seperate transmission computer which was not integrated into the EEC. 302 EFI also uses a MAF not a MAP sensor so it's different to the 6cyl. The stock MAF is quite restrictive, 55mm i think.

Last edited by PigDog; 09-21-2003 at 02:31.
PigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 05:01   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the info, I presume by MAF you are talking about mass air flow. I believe that if you have a MAF, then you don't use a MAP or v/versa. I have a MAF and have been told by Ford that I also need the BAP, which could be a MAP from a 6cly without the vac hooked up which then just measures the barometric air preasure as does a BAP. Apparently, Manual's had the BAP and Auto's didn't. I don't know why. I have now managed to get myself the 6cyl MAP. What I realy need now is how to change the existing Auto computer to make it run correctly as a manual. My engine is 1992 (I think) NC fairlane. Also, does anyone know how to correctly identify the year of an engine without the VIN No of the car.? Thanks
Old 09-21-2003, 17:17   #4 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

You'll find that EB1 V8's have a Bap Sensor, and it was deleted in EB2 As far as converting to manual the only wiring changes you need to do is fit a cruise cut off switchs on the clutch. Ive jut done an auto > manual conversion 2 days ago.
Old 09-22-2003, 02:20   #5 (permalink)

Yep, my EB1 (auto) has a BAP, and my hotrod engine from an NC (May 92 auto) does not. XR9UTE suggested adding a BAP + wiring, which I will do when I get the chance. The computer codes I have are 1DGA = BAP, 1DHA = no BAP.

Good luck
Tris
xafalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 05:55   #6 (permalink)

Hi, thanks to all for your reply's, however the more answers I get, the more questions come to mind. Do I need to install a clutch switch if I am not using the cruse control? Also, If I am using the 1DHA (Auto computer), do I still need to use a BAP, as the 1DHA never had the BAP in the first place. Perhaps I should just wire it up and see what happens without it. Why did the auto's not need it I wonder especially seeing they dropped it again soon after. On another subject, does anyone know how to correctly adjust the throttle position sensor. I presume it should read a certain resistance at a given throttle opening? Any info would be very helpful. Thanks again.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:25   #7 (permalink)
a vile merchant

Try to get your TPS voltage up around 0.9 - .96v with the key-on and engine off and it should be good. If you go too far the ECU cracks it and starts dumping in too much fuel/timing.
PigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 05:58   #8 (permalink)

Thanks very much for this info, very helpfull and very much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech