converting carby to efi need help - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2002, 23:48   #1 (permalink)
the man who cares

converting carby to efi need help

howsit people
I own an xf ute an recently bought a worked bottom end leaded motor with the gear to install efi but i need some inf so if anyone has any info could you post a not and maybe we can get into some detail but if it works she will scream and beat any vl crumpledoor for dead.
FMXer's XF ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2002, 00:28   #2 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

What info were you after. Best thing to do is get the workshop manual for an XF EFI and go from there.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 01:38   #3 (permalink)
the man who cares

high edxr8
i'm after info on a few things like termination of wires to plugs for the dash assembly. um , whether you can just install a high pressure fuel pump into the line after the carby pump just for a start.
i already own the manual but it has no instructions for convertions just stock standard engines. there is alot of difference between a carby xf and a efi xf
Old 07-26-2002, 01:47   #4 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

A few differences i've noted myself between carb and EFI motors in the XE series

Fuel tanks are different. I'd reccomend you use an EFI fuel tank to avoid fuel pressure hassles when you actually get it running later on down the track.

Cams are different. Word on the street is the EFI has a bigger duration, but it also has no fuel pump lobe, as the MAP sensor bolts into the place where the fuel pump normally goes on carb models.

Late XF heads have bigger valves

EFI blocks have gapless rings, to avoid as much blow-by as possible. Remember, the blocks are a part of the intake manifold, IE theyre vacuum sealed. If it runs like shit, look for a vacuum leak ANYWHERE on the block. Sump pan, rocker cover, main bearing seals, etc etc etc.

XEs have standard carby dizzies. XFs have the computer controlled dizzies.

Both XE and XF EFI intakes are identical.

As for the wiring, sorry, I cant help you out there. Locate an XF Factory manual, see what you can make happen with that...
discokin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 05:36   #5 (permalink)
XR8 XR6 Club of Victoria

XF Workshop Manual

I am in the middle of doing an LE2 to EECIV conversion.
I also strongly recommend you get a suitable Ford manual.
the aftermarket manuals provide only basic detail.
The Ford manual does have everything you need in it and in great detail.
Once I got the manual - it all became very clear !
You may be able to find a 2nd hand one in 2nd hand bookshops (I was lucky).

Otherwise, reprints are around $160 and obtaineable from Wheels of Time in Dandenong in Melbourne (they will ship).
WoT have 2nd hand manuals for many models as well.

Talk to Jim Mock regarding cams as they have heaps of experience with 250 motors.
TBH: (the better half) drives an ED XR6 wagon (Mock Dev 4 160rwkw, JMM extractors, 4 electric windows, Ghia door panels in XR trim, rear head & arm rests in XR trim, Momo s/wheel with Cruise, EL thermos, EBGT wheels, etc) things to come soon = EECV upgrade.
Muzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 06:42   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by discokin6
A few differences i've noted myself between carb and EFI motors in the XE series

Fuel tanks are different. I'd reccomend you use an EFI fuel tank to avoid fuel pressure hassles when you actually get it running later on down the track.

Was the Ute XE/XF built with the EFI motor?? If they did then the tank will be easy - If not you may need to consider a setup like the wagons with a low pressure pump inside the tank feeding to a high pressure pump mounted outside.

Also I think the EFI motors had a higher compression ratio

Cheers

Paul B
XR6WGN
Old 07-26-2002, 10:08   #7 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

I'm sorry, I dont know about the utes or wagons on EFI. But I do know for a fact that the EFI motors were built with a lower compression ratio :)

I think the combustion chambers were slightly larger in the EFI heads..
Old 07-26-2002, 20:21   #8 (permalink)
the man who cares

thanx for the replies people.
at the moment this is what i have; EFI head , fuel rail, plenum chamber with throtle body, vat censor, ACU, and wiring harness from it to the censors and dash assembly.
i'm missing the vent/vacuum soleniods, the dizzy with the mti module or something like that on the dizzy and the high preasure feul pump. a few other things but not a problem in obtaining.
my plan is to pu the head on a reco xd block with a stage 2 cam and to get head work done.
will this work if some say the block has differences.
Old 07-26-2002, 21:18   #9 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

hmm... It should work fine, except you will most likely find that the computer won't like the cam, requiring you either get an aftermarket ECU, or find someone to modify the computer for you..

But, having said that, its what i've been told in the past, which has the potential to be wrong.. If you feel like using your vehicle as a guinea pig, i'd be more than happy to hear how it goes!
Old 07-26-2002, 22:02   #10 (permalink)