Converting NF Fairlane to Gas - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2002, 19:13   #1 (permalink)
Australian Member

Converting NF Fairlane to Gas

Iam contemplating converting my NF Fairlane to LPG. I have gone over the savings and it looks quite good. Has anyone here got a Falcon/fairlane on gas and can give my some pointers on problems and fuel savings? Any taxi drivers that might have an opinion? Iam more concerned about engine problems or reliability issues that might arise. Thanks in advance.

Simon
shorsfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2002, 20:50   #2 (permalink)

My NF Fairlane runs duel fuel. No problems. The bastards up here put LPG up to around 48.9c litre recently, which is exactly 9c litre more than a month ago. LPG is good - less engine wear. Is yours a 6 or an 8, I know the V8 has induction hardened exhaust valve seats which helps reliabillty a bit and - clean air for the kiddies to breathe.

Go for it and enjoy.
Old 11-26-2002, 20:55   #3 (permalink)
Australian Member

re

Mine is a six.
Old 11-26-2002, 21:14   #4 (permalink)

Should be no problems, but I have no direct experience of them.
Old 11-26-2002, 23:03   #5 (permalink)

I've got an EF Falcon on gas, runs fine and havn't had any problems, its done 112000km's and has had the gas on it for all its life, was installed by the dealer.
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 00:11   #6 (permalink)
Australian Member

re

How many kays are you getting to a tank of LPG? and what is the size of your tank?
Old 11-27-2002, 00:15   #7 (permalink)

my tank is about 55litres i beleive or atleast thats the most its ever filled too, and that was after i ran out at a set of traffic lights, i got about 420km's on highway driving and there was still about 5litres in the tank, normal driving i get approx 400km's.
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 18:21   #8 (permalink)
Australian EL Wagon Member

<start whinge> Grrr - 400 kms on LPG - not too bad ! I'm guessing that's with the 3.08 diff too - well you're doing better than me mate - 59 litres (usable), 3.23 diff, GRA throttle body and I'm looking at around 300 kms, sometimes 350 highway =[. <end whinge>

Cheers,
Steve
Old 11-27-2002, 20:59   #9 (permalink)
Ford Tickford Experience

I have an AU on duel fuel and the most I've ever gotten in city driving is max 350km ~ 58 litres, if I am REAL lucky (68 litre tank? Tickford Gas, read they use more fuel, but car is heavier too). With the price of gas now, that's around $30 a tank, and I do close to 400-450kms a week, so pushing $45-50 a week, don't know if petrol is better seeing it's averaging $0.85.
Old 11-28-2002, 15:22   #10 (permalink)

I just sold my duel fuel EL fairmont that I fitted the gas to. If you decide to go ahead with it then make sure you use a "parnell" kit as the gas convertor is better suited to the falcon and bigger than other convertors. I have seen this convertor used on hsv's and v8's. On my EL six i used to get 350km's around town and 600 out on the highway. If you use any other aftermarket system it will not flow enough gas at high RPM. The only reliability issues you might have is with the valve seats on the six but by that stage the haed lill need reco any way. I had done 115000kms and no problems. Another thing with going for the parnell kit is that the convertorr will not need to be cleaned out before 100000kms where as other convertors will need to be done around 20000kms.
harasn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech