Coolant Dump All Over Garage Floor! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2004, 02:13   #1 (permalink)
Teh Pimp

Coolant Dump All Over Garage Floor!

Hey guys, I just got a new radiator today and it has worked fine the whole day and when I drove it home she was fine too. However, I got home then came back to the car in about an hour or two to do another mod. I noticed that the coolant was almost empty to I just shrugged and thought the guy didn't put enough coolant in.

Then I looked at the garage floor and it had coolant everywhere and now I have to figure out how to clean it up. It is not leaking whilst driving but I don't want to have to fill up every time before I start the car up...

Anyone know what the problem could be!?! I need a reply quite urgently because I have to go somewhere in about an hour and atm I have to coolant. I told mum to get some at the supermarket and I hope they sell it... Otherwise I have to use water!
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2004, 04:40   #2 (permalink)
Often has bolts left over

Re: Coolant Dump All Over Garage Floor!

well for a start you'll have to figure out where its coming from! probably the bottom radiator hose, either split or the hoseclamps arnt tight enough. any decent supermarket should carry coolant but if not just use tapwater or ideally rainwater. just dont make a habit of it.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:44   #3 (permalink)

Sometimes if it is overfilled, it will dump it out till it finds the correct level. Mine will dump it out if the level is a bit over half way in the plastic coolant tank. If you just got a new radiator, I doubt if it would be hoses - but ya never know.

Fill the reservoir up to half way and see if it dumps it again. It is preferable to use an antifreeze mix, as water will dilute things a bit.

Also go for a drive with the heater on full blast, there may be air in the system somewhere.

cheers
TopGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 17:29   #4 (permalink)
Teh Pimp

I got some coolant from Caltex yesterday but I haven't whacked some it yet. Does it matter if you mix coolants because I have no idea what the radiator man put in.
Old 01-09-2004, 18:56   #5 (permalink)
Hanging Around

Yeah, you should never mix coolants, because there are different chemicals in each coolant, and these chemicals can react with one another, and it will corrode all the alloy components in the cooling system very quickly.
Old 01-10-2004, 02:18   #6 (permalink)
Teh Pimp

Thanks guys, I have decided not to drive until I have to take her to the radiator bloke on Monday. I will whack water in there because I have no idea what coolant he used but that should be ok. I will let you know what was wrong with it on Monday for others that may have a similar problem in the near/distant future. :D
Old 01-11-2004, 14:35   #7 (permalink)
Teh Pimp

Radiator guy checked it today. Hoses were fine and she was holding pressure perfectly. The problem was, he filled it up with coolant when it was warm to the max line. We both believed it was more than likely that it all went out through the overflow tank because it was too full. Now it is sitting in between max and min and all is well. :D

Thanks for the help guys!
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech