Coolant Flow Direction - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2002, 00:41   #1 (permalink)
My name is Forrest....

Coolant Flow Direction

Has anybody got the details on coolant flow for an XG versus an AU or ED / EF / EL.

Re my previous post before just changed THermostat and sensor and noticed the AU thermo stat stated a flow direction different to my ute (i think not 100% sure)
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2002, 01:17   #2 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Jesmol,

I think the XG has the same engine/gear as the EBII/ED sedan. If so that from memory the therostat housing is different, not sure if thats going to effect flow direction.

Just out of interest what part number thermostat did you use. I got Ford part no. ART-92-G for my dads EL and it specified a flow direction. However the thermo in it originally didn't.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 01:56   #3 (permalink)

Im running a 92degree twin acting thermostat in mine, which im going to ditch, because when its cold the temp gauge just keeps rising and rising till it hits about the 3/4 mark, then decends to the 1/4 mark. If its dead cold it will do this a couple of times in succession, but if its been sitting for 30min or so it will do it only once.

But once its warmed up it will sit around the 1/4 mark and barely move, even in 35 degree heat with the Aircon on.

A mechanic I spoke to said all Falcons do this. BS, my EA never did it. Does this happen to any of you guys>?

Im going to put in a 77degree one in within the next couple of days and hopefully it will fix the problem??
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 02:34   #4 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

Re: Coolant Flow Direction

Quote:
Originally posted by Jesmol
Has anybody got the details on coolant flow for an XG versus an AU or ED / EF / EL.

Re my previous post before just changed THermostat and sensor and noticed the AU thermo stat stated a flow direction different to my ute (i think not 100% sure)
They flow the same direction.
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 02:42   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Martin
Im running a 92degree twin acting thermostat in mine, which im going to ditch, because when its cold the temp gauge just keeps rising and rising till it hits about the 3/4 mark, then decends to the 1/4 mark. If its dead cold it will do this a couple of times in succession, but if its been sitting for 30min or so it will do it only once.

Martin, you'll find it does this more than once because when it's opening radiator water can flow through, which cools the head and shuts the thermostat. The fix for that is to drill a small hole in the thermostat.
Old 01-16-2002, 03:15   #6 (permalink)
My name is Forrest....

Part # was ART 89 G, I get the same warm up see saw, even had it it with the other thermo stat which was an ART 92G. The reason I asked about the direction was that the old thermo stat had the flow direction marks opposite way round to the way i remember the coolant flowing out last time I flushed the system.

Jase_ELXR8,
I'm still not certain, the surge tank on the XG's is on the opposite side of the car to the EB/ED and this got me thinking that the pressure and suction side of the pump must be reversed ??
Old 01-16-2002, 03:26   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Part # was ART 89 G, I get the same warm up see saw, even had it it with the other thermo stat which was an ART 92G. The reason I asked about the direction was that the old thermo stat had the flow direction marks opposite way round to the way i remember the coolant flowing out last time I flushed the system.

Jase_ELXR8,
I'm still not certain, the surge tank on the XG's is on the opposite side of the car to the EB/ED and this got me thinking that the pressure and suction side of the pump must be reversed ??
They always suck water from the bottom radiator hose and return it through the top. Thermostat always goes in spring side towards head...
Old 01-16-2002, 14:36   #8 (permalink)
My name is Forrest....

Quote:
Originally posted by Jase_ELXR8

They always suck water from the bottom radiator hose and return it through the top. Thermostat always goes in spring side towards head...
From memory on my ute the water flow is reversed to that , ie water goes into radiator via lower hose, and out of the upper. Will check this weekend, as it looks like the radiator could do with a clean between the condensor and the radiator, probably full of leaves and crap.
Old 01-16-2002, 14:40   #9 (permalink)

Quote:

From memory on my ute the water flow is reversed to that , ie water goes into radiator via lower hose, and out of the upper. Will check this weekend, as it looks like the radiator could do with a clean between the condensor and the radiator, probably full of leaves and crap.
If you think about it, it wont. if it goes out the top and in the bottom whats going to happen if the water level gets low??? it always goes out the bottom....
Old 01-16-2002, 16:30   #10 (permalink)
My name is Forrest....

Hmmmmm .... also the way the water pumps worked are a centrifugal pump ie way flow from centre to outside of pump vanes, so it must come out of the side and into the bottom.
My memory of the whole process I went through last year is a little hazy (lot of red wine processed since then). Must flow the way you're saying.
Did notice the spring on the AU thermostat I had was completely different, less turns per inch etc, leading me to think they have a different opening profile and range?
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech