coolant leak - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2001, 13:22   #1 (permalink)

coolant leak

any of you out there have problem with coolant leaking from pump?
I think I may have crack the seal, during one morning blitz to work. Well its going back to the dealers tomorrow and I hope they put a new engine on it while its there.
slow xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2001, 19:03   #2 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

HI
NOT PROBS AROND THE PUMP, BUT MY EDXR6 IS STARTING TO SEEP FLUID FROM AROUND TH THERMOSTAT HOUSING, ITS ONLY DONE 110000 ODD KILOMETRES. IS THIS COMMON?
CHEERS
KERRY
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 17:23   #3 (permalink)

Result, they've replace the water pump with a new one... whoopee feels like I got some more grunt. The pump shit itself completely but still manage to pump some around with a bit of leak here and there. Its just not common for a pump to fail at 30k.
Where abouts is the Thermostat, I think I better check on that too. No I havent heard of anyone had problems in this area.
slow xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 19:42   #4 (permalink)
Tickford Owners Club NSW

Howdy Kerry & slow XR6,

Kerry's problem of coolant seepage at thermostat housing is quite common. If the corrosion hasn't bitten into the alloy you can clean it up and refit the hose with a new clamp.

The leaky water pump at 30k is less common. It might be a good idea to check for a condition called stray voltage. "E" series Falcons suffer from this condition a lot. When you have stray voltage in the cooling system, you actually have electrical current travelling through the cooling system. What it does is to attack alloy components in contact with the coolant. Cylinder heads most often, but can attack any alloy component. It eats the metal away and deposits it in the tubes of the radiator core.

It's easy to check if you have a voltmeter.

Salada

Jimbaddy
jimbaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 19:48   #5 (permalink)
paul

Thats interesting.How do you check?
Old 05-21-2001, 20:44   #6 (permalink)
Kon

For some more detail on stray voltage/current check out these links at ARE. Very important for AU owners as they have aluminium radiators I believe.

http://www.are.com.au/techtalk/ALUMRAD.htm
http://www.are.com.au/Hor/horror_pictures.htm
Old 06-01-2001, 08:51   #7 (permalink)
Ford Member

hi guys
coolant leaks are very common in fords latley but sometimes hard to find most commonly they leak when the engine is cold so its a good idea to let the engine cool down repressure test the system and the most common spots are o ring behind water pump and thermostat housing aera and mainly in line 6,s
johnmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech