Coolant Level sensor warning light - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2002, 19:30   #1 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

Coolant Level sensor warning light

I was thinking ( ouch! ) with my frequent trips to Brisbane
( extensive Highway travel ) it would be good to have one fitted to my 90 model GL just for extra peace of mind.
I would like to know that I am running low on coolant before the thing overheats and its too late.

Now for the fun part

1. How hard would it be to fit?
2. what parts would I need? ( bottle with sensor and dash light I'm guessing )
3. Does the EA GL Dash already have the place for the light or would there be another way to do it?
4. has anyone done it?

Any assistance would be much appreciated

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2002, 02:13   #2 (permalink)
400 kg ego

You might need to change the instrument cluster over as well. To my knowledge, only the EA Ghia actually had this feature at the time - because when I replaced my coolant bottle, I had to pay considerable dollars to have the sensor replaced also...

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 02:18   #3 (permalink)
Proudly Average

the little icon for the light is there on my '89 GL dash, i'm guessing all you need's a sensor, a bulb and whatever wiring it needs

NH
.020 over 351 Clevo, 10:1 comp, ported 302 heads, blueprinted and balanced, custom ground cam, Edelbrock intake, 600 Holley, K&N air filter, Custom Zip-Ties(tm), MSD ignition, Genie extractors, 2 x 2.5" exhaust, 2800rpm stally, rooted C4
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 21:24   #4 (permalink)
Tickford EL XR6

The one on my EB died after 220,000 km. Kept on going off even if there was water in it. costly to get new one, but better off getting header tank and sensor direct from Ford. Try a wreckers if you want, but be warned tht the sensor may be on its way out. If it's brown, put it down.

cheers.
Tickford6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 21:37   #5 (permalink)

My ED GLi cooked its engine after running out of water (split gas heater hose) so I did the same and connected the low level water level indicator. You can use the same coolant bootle just buy the sensor and the locking ring from Ford (heaps cheaper than the whole thing) and drill a hole in the side of your bottle. Have a look on a Fairmont if you need to but it is pretty obvious where it goes. The wiring was under the bottle and I only had to plug it in.

The only problem I have is the warning light doesnt come on when I start the car with all of the other warning lights but it does work if the water gets low. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Ford Focus: The car that flies :s6:
Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 00:18   #6 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

Does anyone know if the appropriate wiring is there on a GL?
the only spare light I can see on the instrument cluster is the one just to the right of the charge light ( icon of little battery ) is this the correct position for the warning light?
Make my job alot easier if all the wiring is already there.....I doubt it with my luck though

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 05:37   #7 (permalink)

I've got an '89 Fairmont and I have the low coolant light on my dash. Lucky that I do, because I have had non-stop trouble with my cooling system..

Dave
antigravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech