Cooling problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2003, 05:50   #1 (permalink)

Cooling problems

My ea is getting hot when I have the aircon on and I'm stopped at traffic lights.

It usually sits near the 1/3 mark (just below 'L') in normal weather (25C and under),
but when it get's hotter it moves up above halfway (just above 'R') and sometimes higher depending on how hot it is.

When Im on the open road it's at 1/3.

When I turn the a/c off in traffic it goes down to just above the 'L'.

The head was done 1500k ago.

I have had the radiator pulled out and cleaned (60% blocked), thermo tested out ok, new hoses and cap.

There is a small leak at the heater tap, but wouldn't lose any more that 200ml a day, which I will fix next week.

Took it to a mechanic, they did test for gases in water, all ok, viscous fan they said was fair, a bit tight meaning it ran more often, they didn't seem to think it was the water pump, but I do.

So before I do the pump, any other Ideas?

Or am I worried about nothing?

Cheers,

B-Man
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2003, 06:11   #2 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Re: Cooling problems

I wouldn't worry too much about it getting to around 1/2, but anything much higher is a problem.

Check the thermostat first of all. I would still be worried about the radiator, even though it was cleaned they usually don't get all the rubbish out. A new water pump will always give you an improvement in cooling, but it probably isn't your problem. One final thing, thermo fans are a really good idea giving much better cooling and a decent power improvement.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 07:38   #3 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: Cooling problems

try taking out the radiator and theromstat cover and thermostat (not housing) run a hose through the thermostat housing into the head which is actually the reverse cycle of the water when engine is running.. you will notice it will pour out of the water pump pipe... now turn the engine on ...if the water now only barely dribbles from the water pump pipe and water is overflowing from the theromstat housing there is nothing wrong with your water pump... and then i suggest getting a new temp sender... dont forget to watch out for the fan because now there will be no cover on it...good luck mate :-)
keysersozeCUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 12:16   #4 (permalink)

That sounds normal for a stinkin hot day. Just watch it, you can always turn the heater on for instant engine cool down.

I wouldn't worry too much.
Old 11-12-2003, 19:35   #5 (permalink)
XR82GO

Stuff checking the Thermostat. Throw it in the bin and get a new one they are only like $16. When you get it get a really fine drill bit and drill a pair of holes in it. Believe it or not It works

sylox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech