Ford Forums banner

Cooling System Rooted

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Kieron 
#1 ·
Hello guys. My mates wb festiva is stuffed the radiator hoses never have pressue like there soft all the time even though we been driving for ages. temp guage is always in the middle 24/7.
i changed the raditor cap but still screwed. could it be the thermostat doin it. coz when i changed the coolent it looks like its been there for 50 years. thanks. btw the engine smells like its cookin.

#2 ·
Perhaps your radiator is blocked up somewhere. Thas what the problem was on my uncles EA....it had never bin taken out-twas 2/3 covered/blocked with leaves on the outside...and god knows waht was wrong with the inside

#3 ·
EA90,

Considering the Festiva motor is basically the same as the Laser motor (parents have had two now that i've worked on quite a bit), the biggest problem I found with it was the radiator gunging up and the thermostat going west. Clean out the radiator properly and put in a thermostat a few degree's cooler. You'll find the standard cheapo ones usually pack it in quite quickly.

Also, these motors seem to be very picky on ignition timing (slightly retarded will heat up badly), so make sure its set right.

#4 ·
The radiator is clean took it out looks new inside from what i can see. but it runs hot like in the middle of temp guage and smells. and there aint no pressure in the hoses as well. after a 1 hr drive i can open the raditor cap and no presure at all.

#6 ·
I'd be looking at a sticuk thermostat, pretyt easy to test, just rip it out and place in saucepan of water, place on stove and warm it up, the thermo should slowly open, if you have a temp gauge you can work out its opening point compared to what it should be too.

esky, iirc the Festiva was made by Kia? Mazda knocked out the Laser.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.