Cost of Herrod Modifications?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2002, 22:29   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

Cost of Herrod Modifications??

Hi,

I got a quote from a Ford dealer in Sydney regarding the cost of modifications with the Herrod gear. Does this seem like of fair prices? I currently own a 200kw AU2 XR8 ute.

the 220-240 Kw package - $7500-$9000

The stroker kit -310kw - $15000 (ouch!)

With prices like that I would assume it would be cheaper to just buy a BA ute with either the T6 or 260kw V8.

I also assume that these engines mods would stuff up insurance as well???
TheBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2002, 01:00   #2 (permalink)
a vile merchant

Sounds rather expensive to me, and i certainly wouldn't trust a ford dealer to install an aftermarket stroker kit. It was my understanding that herrod themselves do the 347 kit for about $8-9K drive in-drive out.

"Five litres of Ford's finest cast iron!"
PigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 03:32   #3 (permalink)

how come the herrod 347 stroker gets 310kw and my tickford only makes 250. Is it in the heads?
julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 04:54   #4 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

Mate ,Herrod's done the following to my AU2 XR8 ,exhaust,chip,air filter and lowering at a cost of roughly $4000.I'd ring them personally and check it out it might be cheaper for you to take a trip down to melbourne and get them to do it themselves,But I have no regreats in doing what I've done to the car ,If you decide to go ahead with it Herrod's are the one's too see.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 01:26   #5 (permalink)
XR Wannabee

$7500 - $9000 for an extra 20 to 40kws! That is not good value for money at all from what I can see!

95' EF Falcon Series II
Spinksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 15:09   #6 (permalink)
Ford Member

Yes,

That is what I thought as well. Why the hell is everything so expensive nowdays? I guess if the parts are US made that would explain it.

If not then I guess the kilowatts are only really an option is you are a performance fanatic.

If p**ses me off that about 3 months after I get the 200kw ute they start putting 220's and 250's in the range.

You would reckon that due to the age of the windsor motor there would be plenty of reasonably priced go fater bits but oh well. I guess if you want power you need to go either a genIII or BA V8/T6
TheBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 18:14   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by galaxy xr8
Mate ,Herrod's done the following to my AU2 XR8 ,exhaust,chip,air filter and lowering at a cost of roughly $4000.I'd ring them personally and check it out it might be cheaper for you to take a trip down to melbourne and get them to do it themselves,But I have no regreats in doing what I've done to the car ,If you decide to go ahead with it Herrod's are the one's too see.
galaxy, how much did you lower the XR and do you have the Tickford Racing kit?

I think the only thing letting my XR8 (with the Tickeford kit) down is that it appears to sit too high. I was thinking of lowering it an inch or two but was worried about the change in handling etc. Also, how much did the lowering portion cost?

Any comments from anyone else who has lowered their XR with the Tickford kit would be welcomed.

Why ? Because I Can :-)
BammasAUIIIXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 14:29   #8 (permalink)
socially irresponsible

Quote:
Originally posted by galaxy xr8

edited by russellw. i've pretty much done the same and still got change from 2 grand. fairly expensive sticker.
JG33PY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 15:07   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nak302

edited by russellw. i've pretty much done the same and still got change from 2 grand. fairly expensive sticker.
I can't let this comment go unanswered. Strange though it might seem there will always be a vast difference between quality components and those at the other end of the scale. If you managed to get that whole list done for less than $2k then I can only assume that you have used components from the lower end of the food chain and that is your choice of course.
Do not make the mistake, however, of criticising others because they choose to use top end components - both ends of the market exist to cater for the budgets and requirements of each individual.
As in all things - you get what you pay for.

Regards
Russ
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 16:14   #10 (permalink)
Boat Hunting ;)

Quote:
Originally posted by russellw

As in all things - you get what you pay for.

Regards
Russ
this is true, however from my experience, herrod do seem to be very over priced on there more basic products, e.g exhausts, then other companies, and they are not claiming much more and sometimes no more power. I think similair to NAK302, that alot of people pay for the sticker. Agreed there is many inferior products on the market, but their is also MANY quality products, for less money then herrods are asking.

As for herrods larger mods, the prices seem to become a little fairer, considering the large power increase.

Just my 2c's for what its worth.

but boy do people get worked up if someone says a less then perfect word about herrods! :dead:
AU2 S-pack Owner: Silhouette Black, XR6 Wheels, Tickford Sunroof, C2R rear bar, Checker Plate Floor Mats, Chrome Door Sills, Blue Backlite Dash, Blue Painted Brake Callipers, Advanced Extractors, Magnaflow High Flow Cat, 2.5" Stainless Steel Mandrel Bent Custom Exhaust, Genie Muffler. Sony Explode 50w x 4 deck, Kenwood 140w speakers (front and rear), Boss 1200 watt Amplifier, 12" Orion Sub in custom box. More To Come!!
younggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech