Coupe Droptank - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2004, 17:58   #1 (permalink)
Petrol Head with NO idea

Coupe Droptank

Hi all,

The XA's fuel tank is starting to seep, and on closer examination it looks to be corroding about lower entry level pipe and about the axel end of the tank. The car is in beter than mint nick too, and the fuel tank did get over looked when doing the engine.

Options are to do a drop tank, I've seen one on the https://www.americanautos.com.au web site for $990 for an XA, is there any other place that does drop tanks for this price or less? Is the AmericanAutos drop tank worth while quality wise? Has any one got tips on a drop tank conversion? I know 140ltrs when petrol is cheap would go down nicely :> the other problem is will it effect the rear end that much (an extra 80+ kg's of petrol).

The other options are to a) weld in new walls, which is tricky coz of the point of seepage or b) replace it. I assume they are the same as the sedan tanks? I know for sure the ute won't fit.

I often do long range driving with a jery (gery?) can in the boot so a larger tank might be the go

Opinions please?

72 Falcon Coupe XA
Beaphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2004, 22:24   #2 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Re: Coupe Droptank

Supa Trik in Dandenong make drop tanks. Last I heard they were about $500-600. An engineers is required too. A little weight in the rear wont hurt it. It'd be like carrying a passenger in the back seat.

If you want a stock tank I've got one if your interested? $20 and it's yours Sedan/coupe etc tank wise are all the same.

Brenden
Old 06-19-2004, 02:44   #3 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

Definetely go the drop tank, for starter's they look awsome on an old Falcon coupe,mmmm a nice polished alloy D,tank.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 19:52   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

You could always shop around for a long range tank in mint nick. They aren't cheap but they don't look any different from the outside .. and still cost a fortune to fill]. Best thing is no engineers as they were an option.
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 19:34   #5 (permalink)

The weight won't affect it as the long range tanks are 120 litres, so same same.
The drop tanks look great, just make sure they use a decent guage alloy, to thin and they warp a little and belly out. See if they have baffles in them as well, they should.
TICK4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 19:07   #6 (permalink)
Petrol Head with NO idea

Yeah,

Long range tanks, any idea where i might be able to find one? DId they come as an option in the sedans or something like that? Does the long range take up the spare wheel brace?

The drop tank option would be nice but, might be just better of going a long range. The tank came out last night and it was as bad as i was guessing, probably worse.

72 Falcon Coupe XA
Old 06-22-2004, 19:08   #7 (permalink)
Petrol Head with NO idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
Supa Trik in Dandenong make drop tanks. Last I heard they were about $500-600. An engineers is required too. A little weight in the rear wont hurt it. It'd be like carrying a passenger in the back seat.

If you want a stock tank I've got one if your interested? $20 and it's yours Sedan/coupe etc tank wise are all the same.

Brenden

Is the tank is good nick, looking at getting it mint preferably but may have to settle for something less...

cheers

Heath

72 Falcon Coupe XA
Old 06-22-2004, 19:12   #8 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaphy
Yeah,

Long range tanks, any idea where i might be able to find one? DId they come as an option in the sedans or something like that? Does the long range take up the spare wheel brace?
I'll take some hens teeth with that long range tank

They came out in sedan and coupe. They are taller at the top which occupies the boot. Once a spare wheels in you basically have no usable boot. Apart from up against the back seat. If you have a gas tank? That renders the boot almost totally unusable.

Brenden
Old 06-22-2004, 19:16   #9 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaphy
Is the tank is good nick, looking at getting it mint preferably but may have to settle for something less...

cheers

Heath
My tank is in perfect condition. It's had a home inside my garage for quite awhile now.

It was removed when I fitted a RCI fuel cell. Which unfortunately I found it was illegal to run a fuel cell on the street for ADR reasons.

Brenden
Old 06-22-2004, 22:35   #10 (permalink)

any1 in qld i make polished stainless tanks, comes with sender and filler caps, i also custom polish patterns into back of tank, eg chequered pattern, eat me , there isnt much weight difference between a 3mm ally tank to our 1.2 stainless tanks , all are baffeled and tested. email fabrication@bigpond.com

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech