Couple of weird problems :D - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2004, 03:00   #1 (permalink)
{';'}

Couple of weird problems :D

Where do I start?!

First off, my driver's side mirror is cracked. How do I take it off?

Secondly, my driver's side door is sagging like a bitch. It is a few milimetres out of alignment with the rear door. What bits do I actually need to adjust so it sits up at the right height?

And lastly, a more complicated question. I have this intermittent problem where my car doesn't start. Sometimes if I turn the key in the ignition on and pull the handbrake back further than it already is the car starts up. Alternatively, I can sometimes turn the key in the ignition on and click the handbrake realease button at the same time, and then it starts up! Talk about strange...

Cheers fellas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
Eh Yagz, suck my left teste mate I'll have boost for $1k, even if it is only 1 pound.

Check my ride, HERE
XRated is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2004, 03:24   #2 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Re: Couple of weird problems :D

Mirrors are removed from the inside. Open the door and remove the little interior trim panel behind the mirror. Then you will see three screws in a triangular pattern. These go through the door into the mirror. After that it should come out.

Look at the top doorhinge. There is a very small bolt which contacts the pin. Try lifting the door and tightening the bolt some more. If it can't go any further you'll need another top hinge.

NFI :) Handbrake shouldn't have anyhting to do with the starting circuit? Umm have you tried checking the plugs down there, perhaps the hanbrake's jogging a loose plug?

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 22:51   #3 (permalink)
E-Series Cameraman

The handbrake thing must be short circuit of some sort somewhere. Crawl up under the dash with a torch and have a look around. Can't really explain these sort of things without having a look first. If you don't fix these things at the mod day I'll have a look...

Alex
The Goodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 05:46   #4 (permalink)
{';'}

Thanks guys.

Alex, you're a champ! The mirror shouldn't be hard, but do I have to take the WHOLE unit off the car just to replace the actual mirror?

As for the handbrake problem, it's definitely strange. I told the RACV once and he just looked at me like an idiot. But it is definitely related somehow... Will see how it goes...

Quote:
Eh Yagz, suck my left teste mate I'll have boost for $1k, even if it is only 1 pound.

Check my ride, HERE
Old 03-16-2004, 15:14   #5 (permalink)
Formerly: SmokeEA

Its probably cheaper to jut replace the whole mirror, without messing with the glass and motors.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:31   #6 (permalink)
No longer around

ill help yas out with the handbake one

my aunty had the exact same thing with her series 2 NC Ghia. sometimes the car wouldnt start so she moved the handbrake and it started. its a problem in the smartlock box, which is directly above the handbrake "handle". i think she got a quote on getting it fixed and it was monsterously dear, so she just jiggles the handbrake if it wont start now lol
MADNC_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 03:07   #7 (permalink)
E-Series Cameraman

Firstly it is definitely not cheaper to replace the whole mirror assembly because if you buy from Ford for example you still have to have it painted, which costs extra. You can buy just the mirror glass, much cheaper, and easier. If you turn the mirror glass as far as it will go towards the car, you should be able to get access the the big circlip that holds the mirror on. It's a little fiddly, but you'll get it. Putting it back on is much more fiddly though not too difficult, you'll get it after a few goes.

Alex
The Goodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 22:41   #8 (permalink)
{';'}

Okay, the mirror is only a minor concern for now. I will just get one from a wrecker and do that myself.

I am still unsure about the door - I will have to get someone to give me a hand with that.

Regarding the starting problem, it hasn't happened lately but occurs whenever it feels like! So today I pulled out the plastic piece from under the handbrake and had a squiz. I noticed what I think is the smartlock module (orange box thing!) and it isn't even screwed in. It's just bloody floating around. I dunno what the go there is, but it's missing two damn screws (or more) and I can't figure out why and who would have done that - before I owned the car of course.

I think I need a lifter rebuild kit while I'm at it. It's a real shit when I first start it up, noisy as anything tapping away... Add to that some noisy fricken belts, although I think they just need a bit of lube somewhere... ?

Ugh!

/Pulls out big sledge hammer.

Quote:

Check my ride, HERE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech