crapheap car - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2003, 02:03   #1 (permalink)
VL12psi

crapheap car

my cousin told me to make an account and tell you off my problem.
I have a 1991 mdl spack and theres coolant dripping out from the radiator from the middle and left side I got no idea if I need a new radiator or not could someone please tell me if they know. What I really need is a new car but I dont have the money. Its dropping it everytime I stop it for more than 1 minute. it use to have this milky stuff in it and we changed it a while back to antifreeze that made the car run a lot cooler and now another problem has struck and its leaking it everywhere. could it be a hose it looks like its coming straight from the radiator or somewhere around the front pretty sure its the radiator can it be fixed or should I can the car???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2003, 02:21   #2 (permalink)
mmm..Vee 8

You mentioned that you changed the coolant?...did you flush out all the old one before putting in the new stuff?...as your not supposed to mix coolant brands/types...this can sometimes cause a reaction which can damage the cooling system...

commonly the plastic tanks in the radiators rupture..causing leaks that you describe..although id check all the hoses/clamps first...if not it looks like your up for a new radiator & full cooling system flush while your at it..

Extreme

5/1994 ED Futura Classic 5.0 in Polyneisan Green - One of the last ever built
Extreme_2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 02:33   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
What I really need is a new car but I dont have the money.
Well, you will have to fix the radiator if it is leaking. Cheaper than another car. Have a good look to see where it is leaking from. Tighten your hoses, only need a screwdriver. If the radiator is stuffed, you will have to replace it. Have a good look first and let us know exactly where it is leaking from.

And don't panic!
Old 04-20-2003, 06:28   #4 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Middle left hand side? Is that from standing at the front of car? Drivers side? Then it could be your filler hose to header tank is leaking. If its on the other side pasengers it could be that the top plastic outlet has coroded and coolant leaking out. Other than that the tanks, fins are leaking.Check with a radiator place new ones should be under $300 especially if you take it out and refit.

Just indo fan cowling and push back towards engine disc auto hoses and rad hoses inc the small one's to filler/ header tank. Undo the two bolts either side of rad and it should slide up and out..Leaving fan cover/ cowling there..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 09:40   #5 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Also check it's not coming from the water pump weep hole; behind the fan under the water pump fan shaft.
Old 04-20-2003, 21:08   #6 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

If its leaking thru the fins and you don't drive the car that hard, Superglue will fix it.
Providing your car doesnt run hot!!!!
You could also melt some lead over the hole to repair it....i.e. old car battery...

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 08:36   #7 (permalink)

instead of super glue you could try quick steel... its a putty that your mix and then mould into shape, it the hardens like steel...

been running around with a bit on mine for over a year now and it hasn't started leaking yet... looks a little dodgy, but hey it does the job
Behemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech