cruise control - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2003, 18:57   #1 (permalink)
Dc_todd

cruise control

G'day,
I have an EF XR6, its second hand and the povo who bought it new didn't option cruise control, I have picked up the steering wheel buttons from a wrecker and I know how to install them, but my problem is, what else is needed, and does anyone have any idea on price, I have a service manual, but being lazy and at work, its not with me, so was wondering if you guys new off hand what else is needed to hook all the gear up and is it all pretty simple to do myself..

thanks in advance guys..

Dave
dc_todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2003, 04:48   #2 (permalink)
EAS

Hey, your just got the easy bit......
You had better have a look at that service manual of yours but here are just a few of the other bits you will need.
Inside the car....
Electronic control module - sealed, cigar box shaped, box mounted to the firewall inside the car. Also the loom and plug associated with this box
Brake and clutch switches that operate off the respective pedals plus their wiring and vacuum tube.
Inside the engine bay....
The vacuum operated servo unit located in the firewall area in front of the driver plus the vacuum tube and also two cables that run from the servo , over the top of the engine, to the throttle.

Search this site for post from those others who have intalled the system.
Also when sourcing parts it may pay to stick to the same model car as yours. There may be some minor differences from year to year.

Good luck!
EAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 01:29   #3 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

Fairly simple to do.

I think EAS is referring a EA install, which is fairly different to the EF's. If your having stress with it - post again . . .

(afaik, the buttons are the hard part to source, the control modules and rest of the stuff required is much easier to get hold of . . . )
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 17:59   #4 (permalink)
Dc_todd

Re: cruise control

thanks guys still sourcing stuff, just need to know what stuff to source..

Dave

Just a little futher.....almost there..

Ahh Frank, Did you hear something?
Don't worry, it'll buff out.
dc_todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 00:33   #5 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

Okies then, from memory, you'll need:
*buttons (which you've got)
*the control module ( fits in the engine bay near the brake booster )
*throttle linkage ( goes from control module to accelerator cable - you will probably pick up this as part of the control module )
*brake pressure override switch ( screws into the brake booster, as a failsafe override in case your brake switch bombs
*clutch switch (or if auto, a loopback plug to connect instead. The switch will be mounted near the pedal, the loopback plug roughly behind the diagnostics connector ( go up from behind it - its a pain to find ).
*brake switch ( can't remember if this was already there or a separate bit you got )

The loom should already be in the car as standard...

I can't recall anything else offhand that you need, I'll try and find the install guide at home to confirm. (Can anyone else remember anything ? )

You might be worthwhile making some calls to your local ford dealers. I'm not sure how much wreckers will charge you for this stuff, but I got my cruise for $200 I think, since it was an EL and they had almost no call for them anymore . . .
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech