custom cold air intake pipe - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2002, 15:39   #1 (permalink)
Black 200kw wheel barrow

custom cold air intake pipe

hey guys
have been thinking of making up an intake pipe for my car to get better performance than say just an xr8 snorkel or the like. anyone done this/ worth the extra effort??

found a picture that ive attached below of one that someone has done and just wanted to ask a few questions (the guy that has done it is a guy called mike who is part of the NSW TOC owning a green EL XR8, so if he reads this please help me out).

firstly, would i use the existing mounting piece on the filter box or would i put a hole in it somewhere else and leave the existing snorkel there for extra help? (it looks like in this pic that it may attach straight into the bottom of the box, would this be right? as in does the air filter UP from the bottom of the box to the top or the other way round? how would i seal this if i did cut out another hole?)

he has also used a corogated pipe (obviously for ease of flexibility) but would this cause turbulence in the pipe hindering the performance at all or am i giving it too much credit??

also as i dont have a brake duct (well i sort of do but its filled with a driving light) i would be directing it towards the bottom grill of the front bumper, would i be physically able to get there or would things like the radiator etc get in the way (on an AU)?

the more i think about it its probably just easier to get a bigger snorkel but i just wanted to know if there was much more benefit achieved by making one of these pipes.

thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cold air.jpg (41.4 KB, 118 views)

Old 12-20-2002, 16:46   #2 (permalink)
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel

Any kind of performance gain out of what you want to do would be around 3kW, if that. It would be about the same as if you didn't turn on your AC.

Obviously, it's up to you, but don't expect to be pushed back into your seat when accelerating by the sudden power gain.

Go with the bigger snorkle, it will do the same thing without all the hassle.
Old 12-20-2002, 17:16   #3 (permalink)
Black 200kw wheel barrow

thats what i thought
cheers

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech