custom resto XA - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2004, 22:34   #1 (permalink)

custom resto XA

HOWDY ALL
i'm in the process of doing up a XA that i bought recently. it's a rolling shell at the moment with factory 9" and 4 wheel discs. it still has v8 engine mounts in it but i do not wish to put a v8 in it. i wish to build this car as my daily driver as i already have a gt for sundays. i want a manual with air conditioning, fuel economy and reliability is important also. should i buy a xf spack (efi six cyl. ..air con and 5/4 speed manual) and swap over all running gear? what complications will arise? or am i better off buying an EA with manual transmission for the swap over? are the XF's with carbies any good? how do they compare to the efi model? Do u recommend any other engines/cars as a donor for my new project? any help in this will be greatly appreciated and i look forward to learning
sucker4coupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2004, 23:00   #2 (permalink)

Re: custom resto XA

I reckon an xr6 motor would be awsome, you would have power, realiablity, and good fuel econmy
cogo_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 02:08   #3 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

I agree with cogo_81 : XR6 motor!
Old 03-19-2004, 05:11   #4 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

i know its the 'old car factor' but if your so worried about fuel economy why did you buy it?? if you got a car like that and your not gonna put an 8 into it you may as well by a 4 cylinder....later model ones would give you a surprise at the power they have and the fuel economy is unbeivable.
Old 03-19-2004, 16:14   #5 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Best to buy another car and keep the XA as a Sunday car if you can't afford to drive it. It'd be a shame to destroy a muscle car with a lousy 6 cyl.

If you want your EFI? Put a late model V8 in. Fuel economy/power and everything in one foul swoop. The V8 cleveland mounts and V8 windsor mounts are identical. Get an engine that has at least 220kw @ the fly and your laughing. Stick a 3.00 diff in (although the 9" is prob already 3.00). Stock V8 diff's in late model cars are usuallly 3.08. Not all but most.

Brenden
Old 03-20-2004, 05:52   #6 (permalink)

i own (paying off) a xa gt coupe. worked 351 etc. .. that's my beast but it's not something i can drive everyday. i love the coupes and will drive nothing else. i want a car that'll get me around...a neat street car with creature comforts. performance is not what i'm after with this project. comfort and sensibility is more the go. and i'm on a tight budget hence suggesting xf's and ea's. the car is already factory fitted with power windows, sunroof. i want a air con. a smooth hassle-free/less ride that starts str8 away and doesn't overheat. any advice?
Old 03-20-2004, 07:43   #7 (permalink)

Put a v8 in it a run it on lpg. If done properly it'll be very fuel efficient and haul arse as well. Plus it'll have that v8 note which you can't beat!
zc347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 16:02   #8 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by sucker4coupes
i own (paying off) a xa gt coupe. worked 351 etc. .. that's my beast but it's not something i can drive everyday. i love the coupes and will drive nothing else. i want a car that'll get me around...a neat street car with creature comforts. performance is not what i'm after with this project. comfort and sensibility is more the go. and i'm on a tight budget hence suggesting xf's and ea's. the car is already factory fitted with power windows, sunroof. i want a air con. a smooth hassle-free/less ride that starts str8 away and doesn't overheat. any advice?
Any 220kw late model windsor engine will;

a) have a better power to weight ratio hence be more fuel efficient than the 6cyl by miles.
b) last longer due to not having to push it, to get it moving

Cost of the conversion is about the same unless you stuck with an XF EFI engine but then the computer etc put the $ way up there. Is it worth it for a 6cyl when the $ for install wiring wise is the same for a V8?

XF 6cyl = bolt straight in
220kw late model windsor or even a 185kw = straight bolt in using XG Falcon mounts. It's not hard

Brenden
Old 03-25-2004, 06:56   #9 (permalink)

how does this sound guys?...
an AU SERIES2 4litre and five speed.. with all wiring, pedal assembly etc..

how would that fit in my xa? what engine mounts will i need. i have the standard v8 mounts in atm. what other mods will i have to do? keeping in mind i wish to utilise the air con from the au. what about the radiator. what's best in that department? i've always had over-heating problems with all my cars, i would like this one to be different.
any help in this matter will be much appreciated!
Old 03-28-2004, 16:32   #10 (permalink)
EF & ZH owner

4.0litre sounds preety good, although it will look ridiculous when you pop the bonnet. :| whatever tickle ya fancey I guess.. lol

EF2 Futura - 2.5" zorst - K&N Filter - 3" intake - xr8 CAI - Wade 1004-14 Cam - Pacemaker PH4480 xtractors - 15" stockies

77 ZH Fairlane 500 - 302clevo - straight lpg - 12 slotters

God bless the lord, Henry Ford.
XCHASR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech