Cutting holes in Parcel Tray - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2002, 14:19   #1 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

Cutting holes in Parcel Tray

Hey guys,
My beautiful girlfriend has just bought me a pair of Blaupunkt 6x9's that I want to install into my EA.
A few questions..

firstly what is the best way to overcome the uneven surface once the hole is cut? the way I see it once the speaker is screwed down, the nature of the tray itself will leave gaps around the speaker...packing foam?
Also did you guys use the existing hole as the centre and cut either side of it or did you use the hole as one side and cut the metal to the other side of it?

I'd rather do it myself so paying someone isnt on the cards...

Oh yeah, Im going to temporarily hook them up to my factory tape deck ( until I get a CD HU )
Does the factory stereo have a channel for the rear speakers?
Cheers!

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2002, 14:37   #2 (permalink)
Lost in FF

i'm guessing probably not if there isn't already rear speakers (could be wrong) i tried to hook rear speakers up the mine but no luckbest way to tell plug em in and turn the radio on.
Old 12-25-2002, 16:58   #3 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

started cutting and decided not to go any further, am going to look into speaker pods/risers and see how that goes. How much are they generally?

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 17:17   #4 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

yeah good thing your leaving it alone dude. Modifying your parcel shelf can get you a hard core defect and it's dangerous to boot!
Old 12-25-2002, 22:33   #5 (permalink)
Professional P Plater

i did mine with a jigsaw from inside the boot(under the shelf). I used the existing holes as one side, and cut out the other. They have been in 3 years and the cops(who pull me over regularly) have never said a thing. Could b different laws for different states? Anyway i broke quite a few jigsaw blades, but found that instead of pissing around, if you just cut hard and fast, it was easier. Providing u can follow ur cut-out line. I used 12mm mdf and made a new parcel shelf( instead of that dodgy thing that is factory) and bolted the speakers thru that and into the metal. They sit flush on the wood and look good. They go bloody hard too! (They are JBL GT series 6x9's)
Old 12-25-2002, 22:40   #6 (permalink)
Are we there yet?

I used a Dremel thing for my XF. We have one at work, so I borrowed it. They cost about $180 tho. I used about 8 blades cutting the whole thing.

I had 6" holes from factory, I used them as the centre, and cut each side of them. Then made a rear shelf from 16mm MDF, and covered it with some dark grey cloth. I bolted the MDF to the metal shelf, and left the bolt heads exposed. I thought it would look gay, but it looks pretty good after I polished the bolt heads.

I think it's illegal to cut lots away, a bit is ok
95 EF Fairmont 5.0 - Heritage Green - 4 Speed auto with AU S5 - 3.23LSD - 17x8" LWT Wheels - King Superlows - 76mm Cobra MAF - 65mm throttle - BPT Underdrive Pulley Kit - 3" Mandrel-bent Lukey exhaust - Tinted Windows - MP3 CD player - White faced dials.

117rwKw - 15.47@89.9MPH
Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 23:32   #7 (permalink)
V8 XW Ute/APV Kitted EBII

6x9 Pods

Mate, DO NO CUT THE HOLES!!!

This weakens your parcel shelf tray and also gives an untidy look from factory for re-sale value, here are sum pix that I have taken where I used 6x9 (fit 7x10s too) pods to fit the speakers, all very neat and tidy and no cutting was requiredas the pods raise your speakers high enough not to cut.

ViGiLaNtE
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dcp05949.jpg (15.2 KB, 122 views)
Old 12-25-2002, 23:34   #8 (permalink)
V8 XW Ute/APV Kitted EBII

6X9's

Another pic

How do u send more than one attachment as well???
Old 12-26-2002, 02:15   #9 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Re: 6X9's

Quote:
Originally posted by ViGiLaNtE
How do u send more than one attachment as well???
http://discussions.fordforums.com/sh...threadid=29038

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 03:58   #10 (permalink)
Dodgy EA

Go ahead and cut the holes. I did it and have no had a problem with the police (who have been through my car on more than 1 occasion) simply cut the hole then get a rectangular piece of MDF larger than the speaker and cut a hole in this as well. then drill 2 holes through the MDF and the steel and bolt the mdf to the top of the metal. Then simply cut the carpet stuff that sits on top and bolt in your speakers. I did this and i couldnt be happier with the results; they look much better than spacers/pods and give much better sound. My 2c
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech