Cutting Out Muffler good idea? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2002, 07:34   #1 (permalink)
fordman2002

Cutting Out Muffler good idea?

Hey everyone, on the wrecked EA I bought recently the exhaust looks fairly new, however very stock standard for a ford EA with the catalytic converter, 2 mufflers and a resonator and was thinking about putting this on my car(mine would be older)

So anyways I come to thinking.... okay it's got 2 mufflers.... one massive one near the back... and one smaller one at the front just after the cat converter so would it be a good idea to cut the massive muffler out and run a bit of extra exhaust pipe where it was and just leave the smaller muffler on?

Does anyone know of anyone who has done this cheap mod? I'm guessing the exhaust would sound much louder without the big assed muffler.... but I don't want to go deaf, or waste all that time for nothing and it still being relatively quiet. Any opinions on this idea?

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2002, 07:39   #2 (permalink)
4WD Jockey

my mate done the exact same thing on his VN.
it just made it louder, and he rekons a little bit snappier.
it is actually illegal i think?
LoverBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2002, 16:53   #3 (permalink)

i took mine off put new standard pipe back its a little louder but not much different cost 55 fitted
eager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 22:09   #4 (permalink)

I've taken my rear muffler off on my EA. The difference is noticeble in both noise and power.
The car is much louder esp. when the throttle is wide open, sounds awesome but the noise will prolly get you defected. However if you drive normally (i.e. not like a twot) no one will notice as the noise only becomes invasive at above 3000rpm. Ive also noticed alot more power available at top end. Prior to me taking the muffler off the last 750 - 1000rpm was a bit flat, the power dropped off enough to notice. However the last 1000 rpm is now fully usable as the power doesnt drop off without the muffler. I can go flat chat right the red line. Nice. All in all i say do it, its cheap and the benefits are awesome. Also be aware that when cruising the noise can be a little annoying in the cabin, but it is bearable, nothing the stereo cant drown out.
Old 08-08-2002, 04:05   #5 (permalink)

Yeah I did this aswell.. Well pretty much.

I've already got a 2.5" Redback Sports Exhaust. I had a hotdog resonator just behind the rear tyre. Replaced this with some straight pipe. So now all i've got is the one Muffler half way through the exhaust.

It sounds unreal around 2000rpm, tough and loud. They tested it to be around 98db at 3000rpm. In my opinion, it's louder at around 2500rpm which unfortunately is what I sit on when highway driving. It drones, and is quite annoying sometimes.

From experience, I would only have the one muffler next time, but have it in a 2.25" system.

Dave
antigravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech