Difference between 2 pac and acrylic? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2003, 21:59   #1 (permalink)
EB XR8 Owner

Difference between 2 pac and acrylic?

What's the difference between 2 pac and acrylic?
- GT scoop and wing
- Kenwood mp3 player, Kenwood splits and 6x9s
- Momo woodgrain steering wheel & gearknob
ED195KW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2003, 00:49   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Re: Difference between 2 pac and acrylic?

There is a little confusion in terminology here.

Most modern automotive finishes are either a two pack acrylic or a metallic basecoat (single pack) covered by a two pack clear coat.

Older paintwork was usually a Cellulose single pack finish and even older cars were painted in enamel.

Some truck finishes (especially on fibreglass panels) are still a single pack Polyurethane.

Cheers
Russ
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 08:13   #3 (permalink)
XR8 XR6 Club of Victoria

2pak vs Acrylic

The difference is mainly the hardness of the finish.
Compared to 2pak Acrylic is fairly soft and scratches and wears much more easily. Acrylic paint (colour and gloss) will flex as it heats and cools and can crack more easily than 2pak.
The basecoat used under 2pak is soft but the 2pak gloss is very hard.
It resists scratching and wear to a far greater extend than Acrylic.

The major benefit is realised by the paint shop. 2pak delivers a better finish "off the gun" than acrylic and requires little final finishing.
Most cars come straight out of the oven and into the hands of the owner.
It is cheaper for professional use as minimal post painting labour is required.
Acrylic is coarser and generally requires cutting and polishing.

Another difference is home use.
Acrylic is fairly safe and dries very fast (hence the coarser finish).
2Pak dries very slowly and must be used in a clean room. These clean rooms are also ovens that assist with drying.
2pak gloss is highly poisonous and respirator equipment and full body protection must be used.
Off coarse, normal thinners is not healthy stuff either but a good quality filter mask is sufficient.

Some suggest that gloss depth and shine is better with 2pak. I have seen absolutely excellent results with PPG Premium 1K Clear (a "1pak" acrylic gloss). It's just less resistive to scratches and wear.

Oh, and for small jobs I use acrylic colour and the HiChem Iso free 2 pak clear. This is a acrylic based clear that delivers a finish compareable to normal 2 pak. Great for engine bays where good gloss finish off the gun is critical.
TBH: (the better half) drives an ED XR6 wagon (Mock Dev 4 160rwkw, JMM extractors, 4 electric windows, Ghia door panels in XR trim, rear head & arm rests in XR trim, Momo s/wheel with Cruise, EL thermos, EBGT wheels, etc) things to come soon = EECV upgrade.
Muzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 01:10   #4 (permalink)

Re: 2pak vs Acrylic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzza
The difference is mainly the hardness of the finish.
Compared to 2pak Acrylic is fairly soft and scratches and wears much more easily. Acrylic paint (colour and gloss) will flex as it heats and cools and can crack more easily than 2pak.
The basecoat used under 2pak is soft but the 2pak gloss is very hard.
It resists scratching and wear to a far greater extend than Acrylic.

The major benefit is realised by the paint shop. 2pak delivers a better finish "off the gun" than acrylic and requires little final finishing.
Most cars come straight out of the oven and into the hands of the owner.
It is cheaper for professional use as minimal post painting labour is required.
Acrylic is coarser and generally requires cutting and polishing.

Another difference is home use.
Acrylic is fairly safe and dries very fast (hence the coarser finish).
2Pak dries very slowly and must be used in a clean room. These clean rooms are also ovens that assist with drying.
2pak gloss is highly poisonous and respirator equipment and full body protection must be used.
Off coarse, normal thinners is not healthy stuff either but a good quality filter mask is sufficient.

Some suggest that gloss depth and shine is better with 2pak. I have seen absolutely excellent results with PPG Premium 1K Clear (a "1pak" acrylic gloss). It's just less resistive to scratches and wear.

Oh, and for small jobs I use acrylic colour and the HiChem Iso free 2 pak clear. This is a acrylic based clear that delivers a finish compareable to normal 2 pak. Great for engine bays where good gloss finish off the gun is critical.
Hey Muzza, exactly how much of a difference are we talking between acrylic and 2-pac gloss? I heard 2 pac is glossier off the gun, but assuming you wet sanded an acrylic finish, would it be on par with the 2-pac. What if you also wet sanded the 2 pac? For my big project, I want to do everything perfect. So far I've used acrylic paints and has so far been relatively easy. I'm tempted to use 2 pac because 2 pac is harder and a lot more resistant to scratches. Also I've been told it doesn't weather as easily. Would painting in my garage with 2 pac be at all possible? If not what are the alternatives. Any advice would be appreciated.
73falcongt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech