Distributer Cap? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2002, 15:48   #1 (permalink)
Shaken Not Stirred

Distributer Cap?

3.9MPFI....HOW am I supposed to be able to get into the distributer, to remove the cap, without taking apart half the engine?
Is it just me, or is it impossible to get to without removing all the manifolds, fuel rail, all that stuff round about....i only want to have a check inside the cap, see how clean, or not, it is in there, and see how the contacts are bearing up...only got the car about a month ago, still doing checks and stuff on it...

Cheers!

David
the_scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2002, 15:55   #2 (permalink)
91 EA Spak

I know its hard davidwatt Im trying to replace my coil lead. IMPOSIBLE
Old 03-07-2002, 20:06   #3 (permalink)
EB XR8 5SPD

Its not that bad.

keep persisting! it will come out.

try replacing the distrubutor tfi module coil and leads
:)
thats when it starts gettin hard!
Old 03-07-2002, 20:20   #4 (permalink)
Mallyboo

Check this thread

Hey Dave,

Nothing major here but here it goes - check this thread:

pub21.ezboard.com/filsaut...1112.topic

Enjoy - I know I have for the last 5 years everytime it comes to playing this area of the car : ).

Later,

M........
Old 03-07-2002, 22:37   #5 (permalink)
Shaken Not Stirred

umm..

Ok, thanks for the replies...I am assuming when you guys say dizzy, you are talking about the distributor? That is what i meant, i want to get the distributer cap off.....I could probably get it off ok, is there a bolt on the top, or is it just the 2 retaining clips either side of it?
THE PROBLEM would be trying to get it back on again...I really dont want to end up removing the cap, then not being able to get it back on again, without having to spend an hour taking off and putting bits on!
What were Ford thinking?

Cheers!!

David :)
the_scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 15:36   #6 (permalink)
eafalcon.com member

CFI

They are so dificult to take off and replace. Had to do it on my aunty's EB 3.9MPFI. Took about 4 - 5 hours to do the job. I have a CFI and it took 2 seconds as there is not mutch in the way. 2 Weeks later we degreased her motor as it had a rocket cover gasket leak. We soaked the motor in degreaser and hosed it off. The dizzy got water in it and it would not start. We were constantly starting the thing and it was stalling. Took about 8 hours to dry before it ran good enough to go home. Could not be stuffed taking it off again, once is enough.

EA'S RULE!!!!

never late in a V8

comming soon
K&N air filter
XR8 intake snorkle
High flow exhaust/cats/hm headers
Clear front & side indicators
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 10:05   #7 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Find a left handed girlfriend or wife with long skinny arms and double jointed elbows. It works for me.
Old 06-01-2002, 18:12   #8 (permalink)
EB wagon

Dizzy cap!

Ive found that u need 2 things to get too that darn cap! a really
long flat bladed screwdriver and a shit load of sunlight! You just have to pop the two clips off using the screwdriver and it will come right off. If yer just looking at it, make sure u remove the leads from the sparkies and pull the cap thru the manifold with the leads still attached to the dizzy cap. When yer putting it back on, you just have to be persistant and try and press the clips back on with the screwdriver!

Brent
Brent79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 20:30   #9 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

In workshops these jobs are left to an apprentice.. Good luck.. I wouldn't go to the trouble of taking it off without having a new one to put back on, and some new leads..Can be easier from underneath in pit!!
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 00:27   #10 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

As Brents says, large (wide) and long flat bladed screwdriver and plenty of light ( a floodlight is handy). After 100 times doing this you will find you can do it in 10 minutes (off and on again) without the aid of the left handed, double-jointed, skinny armed and long-armed assistant. The real fun is doing it out on the road with a red hot engine ( I still have a scar on my left hand). Make sure you remove the centre lead from the cap before pulling it out as you need a pair of long nosed bent (K-Mart) pliers to get the lead back on the coil.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech