Ford Forums banner

Distributor dead

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  b-juggles 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I was cruising along yesterday and my car jus stopped...turns out the distributor has crapped its self. The NRMA guy connected this box (called a spark box apparantly) to the dizzy where the coil enters - and it got me home. - anyone know how this box thing works?

As for the distributor dying, anyone had something similar before? i had the same problem on a corrolla and cost about $250 to fix (it just needed some part - not a new unit. WOuld i be looking at the same sort of price to repair/replace the one in my eb?

thanks

G
#4 ·
My E's module went, and all the auto electricans were saying that they'd need to fit an entire new dizzy just to make sure it wasn't the dizzy playing up. They wanted around the $400 + mark which didnt sound much fun. I got myself a module from a Eastern Auto in ringwood for $90, put it in in 10 mins and have had 10,000 trouble free miles since then. I'm not sure if it's the module, but the symptoms of mine were that it went dead and would turn over or budge when you tried to crank it. Did the NRMA guy say what part of the dizzy was playing up?

#5 ·
Oh I see, if you put a model in your user-name , that is the car you drive and most likely, but not guaranteed, the one with the problem.

So if my user name is Cinderella, does that mean I drive a pumpkin? hehe

#6 ·
hey all,

thakns for your help

xb351, NRMA guy wasn sure what part. Turned out the NRMA dude used to work at the auto elec place i used to go to, so he was pritty helpful. I'm hoping it the module...wont be too happy if its gonna be a $400 job.

TopGhia said:

So if my user name is Cinderella, does that mean I drive a pumpkin? hehe
maybe you should change your username to Wanka....you can imagine what you'd be driving then.

#8 ·
hot_eb said:
Hey all,

As for the distributor dying, anyone had something similar before? i had the same problem on a corrolla and cost about $250 to fix (it just needed some part - not a new unit. WOuld i be looking at the same sort of price to repair/replace the one in my eb?

thanks
Had the exact same thing happen to an EA, RAC guy threw the box on and followed me home. Its a fairly ommon problem and iirc its the TFT module hanging off the side of the dizzy - that rectangular plastic bit.

2 ways to fix it, new dizzy/module as an assembly or a new module only, something like $40 or $50 difference and as such most mechanics go the whole hog which is not such a bad idea.
Call Ford Spares and ask the prices, I think it was aorund $340 for the mod or 390 for the complete dizzy.

Kieron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.