Distributor shaft diameter??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2003, 01:38   #1 (permalink)
ACTION201

Distributor shaft diameter???

G'day,

I have an XB coupe with the motor out of a '79 Fairlane. apparently ihalf way thru '79 they change the block slightly which caused a change in distributor shaft diameter. Does anyone know any way WITHOUT DISASSEMLING THE MOTOR, to determine which distributor i have as i would like to order a new one to fit as soon as i have it. i dont want to have to remove the dizzie just to get the diameter only to have to put it back in and retune it so that i can drive it to my mates place to rebuild it...

any suggestions will be much appreciated.
ActioN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2003, 03:02   #2 (permalink)

Re: Distributor shaft diameter???

What distributor is in it at the moment??..If it is the bosch electronic with the module on the side it is the small shaft type. If it's got the bosch type with the big black or grey box on the inner guard it's the larger shaft..
If the block still has original paint on it ,then black is small and blue is large..
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 16:42   #3 (permalink)

Re: Distributor shaft diameter???

I have a bosch electronic dizzy from an xc fitted to my 351w, it has the larger diameter shaft. However not to many of these were made ( i went to a lot of effort to find it ) before they switched to the smaller diameter. This is what I was told anyway. Unfortunately the only way to tell for sure would be to pull the dizzy out and measure shaft diameter.

FOR SALE: XH "outback" ute, 5 speed, hydratrack lsd.
PM for details.
351efiXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech