Don't laugh. How do I drain my radiator? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2003, 15:10   #1 (permalink)

Don't laugh. How do I drain my radiator?

Hello.

I have a naive question to ask, how do I drain the water from my radiator? The water is a murky brown/black colour and I want to change it with fresh water and some coolant. Any suggestions on good coolant/radiator stuff while I'm here.

Thanks
ELXR6Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2003, 15:58   #2 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Man

My thoughts would be to remove the bottom radiator hose, and let gravity do its work.
Old 03-18-2003, 16:26   #3 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

Agree with KO.

Another tip - don't do it on your lawn.
Old 03-18-2003, 17:52   #4 (permalink)

I take it you own an El xr6.
If the factory radiator is still in the car it will have a drain plug at the bottom of the radiator.It is a plastic screw plug and to get it out use a phillips head screwdriver.(also can use socket it has a hex head).
Many falcons have had new radiators due to sand from engine block entering the radiator therefore blocking the cores.
If an aftermarket radiator has been fitted I doubt a drain plug is there.(some aftermarket may still retain the plug)
To help fluid to empty remove the cap located on watter bottle as this will increase flow.

When refilling disconect the top small hose running from radiator
(drivers side) to the plastic fill bottle.Take hose off from radiator end.
When filling through the filler all air will escape from the radiator opening.When no air is visable reconnect the hose and continue filling to required level.

I use Castrol coolant concentrate.Seems to do the job.
Good idea is to flush the system including heater core before adding the new coolant.
Hales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 21:08   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for you help guys. I dropped past a mechanic to ask him a few questions and he told me the ford coolant is blue!?? I don't believe him, but apparently my coolant is ok.
ELXR6Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 22:57   #6 (permalink)

hahah well you could do what happen to a m8s telstar at school the other day. he got to school parked the car and in like 20seconds all the groung was covered in coolant and boy did that bloody stink. hole in the top radiator hose was the cause of this...pretty funny stuff but hey, it got us out a early start lol.

jim
EA II, Rosewood Red, 4 spd auto :( lowered heavy duty springs with Monroe GT gas shocks, ANZ FTR's, EB xr6 rear end, EDXR clear indicators, 2.5" lukey exhaust, 2 Cobra Racing Bucket seats, Alpine 9815 deck with stacker, pioneer front splits, kenwood 6x9's, sony amp feeding a 400w 12" orion sub, aftermarket central locking, alarm.

Near future mods include EL MPFI, coldair, respray. Chip Upgrade, Shift kit, window tint,
jimmy__5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 23:53   #7 (permalink)

The ford coolant is actually blue. I think they made it in green, red and blue. Each one did something different. The blue one is in mine and its just anti corrosion fluid - no antifreeze. Which is fine up here in qld but might cause some problems for anyone in the south.
l_jobling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 00:01   #8 (permalink)

If your radiator water is a murky brown/black colour I doubt if it is OK. I would change it anyway, use a 50% water/antifreeze mix, NuLon Life Life Coolant is good, but a bit expensive, but what is your motor worth?

To test coolant, use a digital multimeter, set to 20V DC and put + probe in coolant. - probe to - battery post, should read no more than .9V, if more, electrolysis is occuring.

I_j just beat me to it. If your area is frost free, the best thing is the anti-corrosion thing by itself (5%). Water is beter transferer(?) of heat than an antifreeze mix.
Old 03-19-2003, 02:02   #9 (permalink)
EL XR6 - w00t

Thanks for the fantastic responses!

I don't live in a very cold area in NSW but in winter it does get coldish (12-16c in morns).

Call me dumb, but what happens if electrolysis is occuring?
dcliff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech