Droning Sound.......! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2001, 06:52   #1 (permalink)
Green Falcon Driver
 
EL-Phat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: South Coast NSW
Age: 31
Posts: 342
Droning Sound.......!

Hey lads....

I have a 2.5 Inch Mandrel Bent exhaust fitted to my auto IL6 EL.. Im really happy with the sound but around 2,000 RPM it has a terrible droning sound... (like when im travelling up hills for extended periods).

I think my resonator has been removed? How can i tell? Any advice to help me?

Thanks Pat
__________________
I love smokin' bombadores.....
EL-Phat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-07-2001, 07:08   #2 (permalink)
Australian EB Fairmont Ghia Member
 
eb_5litre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Newcastle NSW
Posts: 1,151
the same thing happened when i got a mandrel 2.5inch system.. around 2000rpm starts droning, although i dont mind so much cause its a v8 and sounds good.. not too annoying.
odds on it will have no resonator.. get one and your drone noise should go.
__________________
Signatures are for poofs !!

1993 EBII Fairmont Ghia 5.0L Wagon,
Lowered, Tinted, 17" Speedy Ravens & 2.5" Sports Exhaust.
( 1 of 26 built )

AND

1985 Telstar TX5 Turbo, stock as a rock.
eb_5litre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2001, 19:08   #3 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator
 
XR_Strider_GuY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: 3Fb Skunk Works(JXR01 Dev)
Age: 34
Posts: 6,542
yeah rsonator is the muffler like thing first thing after the car. IMO to get a 2.5 mandrel setup, i'd keep the resonator and muffler configuration of the stock setup, that way you get flow without the dodgy droaning.
__________________
Motor May 2001 Quote: "Believe it or not, there are actually a bunch of weirdos out there who reckon a six cylinder is the dux gutz. Bugger it: I'm one of them" :s5

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 02:43   #4 (permalink)
BSR Field Agent
 
Nipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Testing Ear Muffs at BSR Head Quarters
Posts: 578
EL-PHAT, i have the same problem with my ED. Mate the best option I can offer you is to turn up the stereo.... You can put the rear resinator back on but you will lose the exhaust note.....

Another option is to put on a Hot Dog style resinator which may help!!!
Nipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 02:55   #5 (permalink)
Australian EB Fairmont Ghia Member
 
eb_5litre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Newcastle NSW
Posts: 1,151
Quote:
Originally posted by Nipper
EL-PHAT, i have the same problem with my ED. Mate the best option I can offer you is to turn up the stereo.... You can put the rear resinator back on but you will lose the exhaust note.....

Another option is to put on a Hot Dog style resinator which may help!!!

You dont even need an expensive stereo if your as old as nipper...... at his age elevator musik is too loud :D

The solution is staring you guys right in the face..... trade in the farty 6 for a beefy 8 .... then atleast the drone sounds nice. hehe :D
__________________
Signatures are for poofs !!

1993 EBII Fairmont Ghia 5.0L Wagon,
Lowered, Tinted, 17" Speedy Ravens & 2.5" Sports Exhaust.
( 1 of 26 built )

AND

1985 Telstar TX5 Turbo, stock as a rock.
eb_5litre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 03:05   #6 (permalink)
300+rwkw DC LTD Member
 
LTDHO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Melbourne, Vic
Age: 39
Posts: 1,620
I agree with eb 5litre.

IMO I'd put a resonator back in (it's right under the rear bumper) you would not notice any power change. Generaly Crapadore drivers remove them for the noise! My bro did it to his 253.
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 03:12   #7 (permalink)
THE DOCTOR
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
2 ways to get rid of droning are:


if you have removed the rear resonator and have no exhaust protruding from the car the droning is produced by the exhaust noise using inside of the rear bumper as a concert hall.

your choices are re-route the exhaust down from the bumper so it points to the ground or out to the side. your other choice is get a straight piece of exhaust and have it added to your exhaust so it pokes out the back of the car. you will loose the drone to some extent plus keep the note, the downside is you will have more outside noise.

to see what I mean put your head in a bucket and start talking then slowly remove your head while talking. the note and style of your voice will change, this is the same effect as the exhaust on your car.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 03:17   #8 (permalink)
Australian EB Fairmont Ghia Member
 
eb_5litre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Newcastle NSW
Posts: 1,151
Quote:
Originally posted by THE DOCTOR
2 ways to get rid of droning are:


if you have removed the rear resonator and have no exhaust protruding from the car the droning is produced by the exhaust noise using inside of the rear bumper as a concert hall.

your choices are re-route the exhaust down from the bumper so it points to the ground or out to the side. your other choice is get a straight piece of exhaust and have it added to your exhaust so it pokes out the back of the car. you will loose the drone to some extent plus keep the note, the downside is you will have more outside noise.

to see what I mean put your head in a bucket and start talking then slowly remove your head while talking. the note and style of your voice will change, this is the same effect as the exhaust on your car.

Does Mrs.Doc make you wear a bucket on your head often ?? :D
__________________
Signatures are for poofs !!

1993 EBII Fairmont Ghia 5.0L Wagon,
Lowered, Tinted, 17" Speedy Ravens & 2.5" Sports Exhaust.
( 1 of 26 built )

AND

1985 Telstar TX5 Turbo, stock as a rock.
eb_5litre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 03:21   #9 (permalink)
BSR Field Agent
 
Nipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Testing Ear Muffs at BSR Head Quarters
Posts: 578
Doc, the droning from my system appears to be from the fact that it is a straight through system. It only has one small muffler with 2.5inch pipe the tip is a 3inch extension which protrudes out the back of the rear skirt. Drone is real bad under big load.......

Hey an EB_5 litre you must ride in some sh it hot elevators.....
And what's this old bullsh it!!!!!!!!!!!
Nipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 03:26   #10 (permalink)
Australian EB Fairmont Ghia Member
 
eb_5litre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Newcastle NSW
Posts: 1,151
Quote:
Originally posted by Nipper
Doc, the droning from my system appears to be from the fact that it is a straight through system. It only has one small muffler with 2.5inch pipe the tip is a 3inch extension which protrudes out the back of the rear skirt. Drone is real bad under big load.......

Hey an EB_5 litre you must ride in some sh it hot elevators.....
And what's this old bullsh it!!!!!!!!!!!

Aww sorry nipper... i didnt see you there.. hehe:D

I could have sworn i saw a bowlers hat on your parcel shelf.. :D

BTW seeing as you work near where i live.. when are we gonna have a drag race.... atleast then when i'm in front you can hear a real exhaust HAHAHAHAHA :D
__________________
Signatures are for poofs !!

1993 EBII Fairmont Ghia 5.0L Wagon,
Lowered, Tinted, 17" Speedy Ravens & 2.5" Sports Exhaust.
( 1 of 26 built )

AND

1985 Telstar TX5 Turbo, stock as a rock.
eb_5litre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AU Unusual Engine Sound Dave007 General Tech 11 02-24-2003 22:41
Ford Product-Led Transformation: 2003 RPO83 Trans | Driveline 0 07-22-2002 06:48
el 6 cylinders and clicking sound....... Evs_GhiA Inline 6 Tech 3 06-13-2002 21:27

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:30.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.