DYI Carbon Tune - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2002, 00:55   #1 (permalink)
Australian Falcon XE Member

Question DYI Carbon Tune

Is it possible??

Without removing the head to clean out the cylenders , piston tops and head, is there any way that I can 'carbon clean' my car (carb XE 250ci).

Otherwise, how much (rough) should I expenct to pay to have it done for me??
rolli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2002, 16:04   #2 (permalink)
Ex Member

My lawn mower is full of carbon deposits, what chemical do they use to desolve it? half a cm thik almost in some places
Fairlane Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 18:43   #3 (permalink)

Suburu Carbon Cleaner

Quote:
Originally posted by rolli
Is it possible??

Without removing the head to clean out the cylenders , piston tops and head, is there any way that I can 'carbon clean' my car (carb XE 250ci).

Otherwise, how much (rough) should I expenct to pay to have it done for me??
Suburu dealers use an aerosol carbon cleaner on their engines at each service
Its available through their spare parts.
They use 1/2 the can down the spark plug holes, let it sit for 1/2 hour or so, the start the engine and spray the other 1/2 can in via the air intake.

Not sure what it costs but it doesn't seem to do them any harm
batbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 20:17   #4 (permalink)
Powered by HAD

I'm not too sure about this, but I have been told that removing the carbon is bad.

On older cars the carbon may be helping to seal the piston in the cylinder, thus preveting blowby wich results in loss of power etc.. Cleaning the carbon on new cars however may be different, as the pistons already seal well in the cylinders.
Old 01-09-2002, 21:03   #5 (permalink)

Carbon

Doesn't Redex help clean carbon deposits?

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 21:43   #6 (permalink)
Early Ford Member

How about a long-term water injection set up. Steam cleaning at it's finest, and a few more neddies, too! :s3 :s6:
XT500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 22:13   #7 (permalink)
Sideways..

Re: Suburu Carbon Cleaner

Quote:
Originally posted by mbrown42

Suburu dealers use an aerosol carbon cleaner on their engines at each service
Its available through their spare parts.
They use 1/2 the can down the spark plug holes, let it sit for 1/2 hour or so, the start the engine and spray the other 1/2 can in via the air intake.

Not sure what it costs but it doesn't seem to do them any harm

I did basically the same to my mates 1 Litre, 3 Cylinder Daihatsu Charade with a can of Carby Cleaner.. and it made a hell of a difference in his car!!

Then i used the rest in my car (just into the carby, not the spark plugs) but all it did was clean up the carby (VERY nicely i might add!).. but no performance/sound difference. This is probably due to the fact that this motors only done about 15,000 K's so far :s5

Xtreme 275.6 rwkw, 12.93 sec quater, Phoon CAI, Siemens Injectors, StealthFX BOV with XBOX entertainment.
XF Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 22:26   #8 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

Be buggered if I'd use any of those sorts of products on any of my cars, where does the carbon go?? Down the sides of the pistons etc, mate used something similar a while back on a Toyota Celica and two months later it was stuffed, lots of blowby, oil usage etc, on pull down the bores where marked to hell and the pistons weren't much better.
Old 01-09-2002, 22:34   #9 (permalink)
Sideways..

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakweed
Be buggered if I'd use any of those sorts of products on any of my cars, where does the carbon go?? Down the sides of the pistons etc, mate used something similar a while back on a Toyota Celica and two months later it was stuffed, lots of blowby, oil usage etc, on pull down the bores where marked to hell and the pistons weren't much better.
I'd assume the majority of the carbon along with the product you spray into the engine would flow through to the exhaust system with the rest of the gasses.

Xtreme 275.6 rwkw, 12.93 sec quater, Phoon CAI, Siemens Injectors, StealthFX BOV with XBOX entertainment.
XF Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 22:50   #10 (permalink)
Australian BA XR6 Falcon

Quote:
Originally posted by XT500
How about a long-term water injection set up. Steam cleaning at it's finest, and a few more neddies, too! :s3 :s6:
And thats no joke, a cheap trick is to remove air cleaner, start engine and hold it at about 1500rpm and spray a litre or so of water into the carb.

This worked well for my old Mustang V8 when I first got it, it used to ping, did the trick and no more pinging.

Kieron
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech