Dyno power run after engine rebuild? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2004, 18:15   #1 (permalink)
Now boostless :-(

Dyno power run after engine rebuild?

My engine is currently getting rebuilt (with all oversized stuff cause the bore was stuffed). The place that's doing the rebuild is going to "settle in" the new engine on the dyno. What i was wondering is will they still do a power run? Or would they not do this because you shouldn't be thrashing a new engine?
NAPARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2004, 23:23   #2 (permalink)
Whats traction?

Re: Dyno power run after engine rebuild?

Most likely they will just to the breakin so you can just drop it in and go without having to sit there for 30 mins breaking the cam in, etc.

If you want a power run they will have to spend a lot longer on the dyno not just breaking the engine in but running it in, which is costs a LOT more to do.
Old 06-27-2004, 23:54   #3 (permalink)
Now boostless :-(

Yeah they're not going to run the engine in on the dyno, just "settle it in" as they call it...
NAPARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 00:43   #4 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

If they are going to put it on an engine dyno you can say that They ARE running it in, defeats the purpose dont you think.

Member of the "TKTDSGM " Group..
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 01:56   #5 (permalink)
Whats traction?

No, breaking the engine in is just giving them a chance to check for anything they might have fudged and breakin the cam, seat the bearings, etc. It also covers their ass in case of any failures when you bolt it into your car (ie. it was working fine when it was on the dyno). It takes them 45 minutes max and the engine sites generally about 3000 RPM with little load.

Running in the engine on a dyno is usually a 5-6 hour session where they first break in the engine and make sure everything is seated, then run the engine at varying RPM and load over a prolonged period (same a running in a new car) to totally settle the engine. After that they will look at doing power runs.

COME charge $600 to run in an engine on the dyno, most places will do it a little cheaper but its still fairly expensive.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:44   #6 (permalink)
XR82GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdc351
COME charge $600 to run in an engine on the dyno, most places will do it a little cheaper but its still fairly expensive.
That'd be what I'd be doing. Its annoying running in a new performance engine. And that way if anything happens they cant blame you for not running it propally (floging it etc). Haggle them on price i reckon and see what you can get it down to, afterall Dave you just spend a motherload with them twice....

sylox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 03:26   #7 (permalink)

OK first things first...
1 you dont need to run a roller cam in
2 Mate if it takes 5-6 hrs to run an engine on a dyno then they saw you comming a mile away
3 Power runs are done to try to extract every last drop of horsepower from an engine by adjusting timing,fuel,spark This doesnt really apply to an EECV unless you are running sometype of adjustable engine management system.
4 Come dont charge $600 to "Run" an engine in on the dyno, THEY charge $600 to set up that engine for the best power output it can get by changing fuel,spark etc for what running gear it has ie exhaust system etc.
Personally I had mine "Run In" on the dyno inwhich was done in 1 hr Yes mate read that 1 hour, once it was in the car I was able to give it $hit so to speak. It was done how you stated under varying loads & rpm, once done the engine oil was dumped & the engine fitted to my car.
Chiptorque had done the "Power Runs" on a dyno inwhich i got 321 rwhp/455 nm torque.

Old 06-28-2004, 17:26   #8 (permalink)
Whats traction?

1hr, good luck to you. I know people that like to hang burnouts to seat their bearings too. Funny thing is they tend to do a lot more engine rebuilding than me.

If I paid $660 (forgot to add GST in the last price) i'd expect a *shitload* longer than 1hr and an 'power setting adjustment'. Who saw who coming?

Roller cam's don't require a breakin, I was talking from experience not specific to this build. My experience is with non-roller cam'd clevelands.

Dyno engine 'run in' to my definition is simulating 500kms of road use. If you can do that in less than 5hrs as well as setting up the engine, stopping after basic brakein, adjust carbs, timing, proper analysis and fine-tuning, then taking it all apart then i'd say your not doing your job properly.
Old 06-28-2004, 17:57   #9 (permalink)

As the thread stated, It was for a TS50, not a cleveland.
1 hour to run an engine in is ample..
As for tuning for every last drop in Performance Id be expecting 5-6 hrs easy on a dyno @ a cost of up to $600.
Once again as I stated unless a tuneable EEC module is being used , theres no point in power runs, cause theres no way to upload the "maps" to the EECV..
Once again no carbs to adjust the fine tuning is a walk of the fingers on a laptop

Old 06-28-2004, 18:30   #10 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

I agree with 'svo347', modern fine honing methods require immediate hard use.
You only need 10 or so moderate to hard dyno pulls and most engines will be 'run in'.
On the road this could be done within 10-20k's.

I would also change the oil straight after this period.

Rick.
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech