Ford Forums banner

Dyno results EL ghia V8

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  exec5ltrvl 
#1 ·
ok guys the dyno results are in but b4 i get there a bit of background.

EL ghia V8 std exept for k&n filter 113 kw @ wheels and for those who know dynos tractive effort was 4400 at 130 km/h

Pacemaker tri y's fitted with twin std cats and twin 2.25 inch pipes that run into a 2.5 inch single , 1 straight through muffler and hi - flo resenator . Sound is very tame and no drone what so ever , perfect for a fairmont ghia . Price $1100 fitted in victoria at usa marine and exhaust in thomastown .

results ( std timing)

125kw @ wheels tractive effort 5500 at 125km/h

with 4 degrees extra timing 133@ wheels however audible knocking so timing back to std ( car runs with optimax)

The car has made a heap more torque which is more noticable than the outright power gain ( 10 kw ) fuel mixtures have leaned of to 11.0 at 44oo rpm up from 10.2 at 44oo rpm .

I must say the owner was hoping for more outright power but it was the torque of the car that increased heaps then the outright power . The car uses less fuel and will even spin the wheels of the line which it wouldnt do previously.

Hope this answers most questions and feel free to ask some more

adam

See less See more
#2 ·
That's a pretty good effort - I'm looking at a set of Pacemakers into a single 3" system, using standard cats. I've been quoted $960 just for the headers, plus another $680 for the 3" system. I'll be going back and getting this quote reduced.

An extra 12Kw and heaps mpre torque - that's exactly what I'm looking for (I tow a 1.5 tonne boat).

When I get mine done, I'll post the results somewhere (probably won't be until next year, though)

#3 ·
I.M.O the next thing thats restrictive on the inlet tract is the maf meter. Have a look through the air cleaner it's Bl**dy small...

#4 ·
Hey adam how are you bro glad to see you here on the ford forums, by the way if your wondering who I am its ray with the blown eb, yeh thats good power out of a el ghia, should be able to get a little more power out with a few more changes good luck.

REGARDS RAY.

#6 ·
1.7 ratio roller rockers are known to work pretty well with the stock cam, gives it a bit more valve lift without the expensive of a cam swap. Nothing is gonna make a huge difference with the crappy standard heads/intake tho. Best thing i've done is 3.73's in the diff!

#7 ·
133kw at the wheels ain't too bad at all, pretty much just with bolt on items.

I can definitly say that a 3.73 diff would really make the car much more lively without much trade off at high speed.

#9 ·
thats a great efffort for an engine with 170kw and the only real mod you done. being auto aswell impresses me too.
By the way what figure was the timing set on when you achieved 133 rwkw and what timing have you left it at to get your 125rwkw at the moment

#10 ·
JCV8 said:
That's a pretty good effort - I'm looking at a set of Pacemakers into a single 3" system, using standard cats. I've been quoted $960 just for the headers, plus another $680 for the 3" system. I'll be going back and getting this quote reduced.

An extra 12Kw and heaps mpre torque - that's exactly what I'm looking for (I tow a 1.5 tonne boat).

When I get mine done, I'll post the results somewhere (probably won't be until next year, though)

How would you like it if i told you you could get PACEMAKER AU 5 Litre Tri-Y Competition Header 1.3/4 in. for .............$550.00........excluding freight........

#11 ·
Thanks firefox - I got quoted $460 excluding freight for the standard 1 5/8" - landed in the ACT, that would be around $540. I managed to knock a local shop down to 4 hours labour to install the extractors (pacemaker quotes 2.5 hours), plus do some other work to open up the front of the cats and sort the existing 2.5" system into a better flowing thing. All up cost of $895. It's done now, so when I dyno it, I'll post the results. I started with 132 RW kW, so it will be interesting to see the improvement - I'm hoping for 138-140 (around 200-210kW at the engine, given a 30-35% loss through the drivetrain?), which should be pretty good as it's an auto - and the only difference is the headers, I already had the pod filter and the 2.5" system.

G
#13 ·
firefox7 said:
How would you like it if i told you you could get PACEMAKER AU 5 Litre Tri-Y Competition Header 1.3/4 in. for .............$550.00........excluding freight........
Do not use the 1 3/4" header unless your going for huge top end power or unless you've got a healthy 347 stroker. Too much torque and mid range power will be lost with the 1 3/4" primary tubes.

Pete.

#14 ·
thomas , the timing was set at the standard mark , i dont know what the number is , just check the owners manual . It was increased by 4 degrees which resulted in the great gain but audible knocking was heard . As the owner wants to do a couple of track days and isnt to familiar with modified cars yet , it was agreed to leave the timing as std . By playing around im sure the motor would have coped with 1-2 degrees if you had a symapthetic ear to knocking just in case on a hot day it did , But as its not my own car i felt it wasnt up to me to take the risk .

adam

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.