E series engine into XF on straight gas Help!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2003, 19:36   #1 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

Lightbulb E series engine into XF on straight gas Help!!

Im just pondering something.
If i were to put an E series engine into my XF would i need to have the computer and all the wiring, sensors etc to go in with it if i have straight LPG???

I would think that because the injectors are not used that the sensors and all the electrical stuff that makes the conversion hard are not needed. This way i could ditch the whole computer and intake and just put the engine in with a gas carby and pod filter.
It will be manual so the auto computer wont be needed either i assume. Preferably a 5 speed box from the E series engine.

Am i correct or am i living in fairy land??
Im not that knowledgable when it comes to thing like this so feel free to point out the obvious.

Thanks for any info.

Muchly appreciated.
Dan
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2003, 21:33   #2 (permalink)
plarsson

Lightbulb

You would still need to use the computer for the ignition timing, idle speed adjustment, etc. Plus current regulations require an engine with a closed loop ecu to have a closed loop LPG ecu or adaption.
Old 03-11-2003, 22:00   #3 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

Thanks.
If i still wanted to use the ED engine how hard would all of the wiring be i imagine it would be too hard for me to do myself but i am alright with auto electronics.
Is it hours and hours and hours worth of work or is it not too bad?

I have a worked carby crossflow that is easily faster than my old ED and can outrun my g'friends ex cop ED both auto but the fact that the OHC engine is smoother and stronger and not that expensive is tempting especially when turbocharging is a definate at the end of the year regardless of which engine i have.
I would prefer to have an OHC engine for availability of cheaper uprated parts and ease of changing cams etc

Thanks for your help.

Dan
Old 03-11-2003, 22:05   #4 (permalink)
plarsson

This sort of stuff is more fun if you do it yourself.

But if you were to pay someone to do it for you then you better have a money tree in the backyard. Its a job that could take about 3 man days to do at the going rate of $60 per hour, how much is your time worth?

Everything is doable, only the cost determins if its worthwhile.

I would do the the swap if I had the time to do it myself, but not pay someone else to have all the fun.
Old 03-12-2003, 02:13   #5 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

Re: E series engine into XF on straight gas Help!!

Quote:
Originally posted by DansEdgli
Im just pondering something.
If i were to put an E series engine into my XF would i need to have the computer and all the wiring, sensors etc to go in with it if i have straight LPG???
Dan,

Technically either gas or a carby would work without the ECU but rego regulations may state otherwise for your proposed conversion. I haven't seen him here for a long while but do a search for posts by uteman. He has a XB ute running a EB/D XR6 engine with a weber carby on the earlier EA CFI (central fuel injection) manifold.

Here's a few posts that I dug up (pity the picture links don't seem to work)

click=> Got my ute back, finally!!

click=> Uteman's XB ute photo's!!!

click=> Carb motor-EFI fuel pump
Old 03-12-2003, 02:34   #6 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

hmm i would have thought that with LPG you could just stick in a 250 crossflow dizzy and get it recurved to suit - i am not sure but i think the main thing to do with engine swaps and keeping computers etc is to preserve the emissions levels...on LPG its not a problem as the emissions are low already...you will probably have to ring main roads or your transport authority to get 100% certain answer on that though.

so you have you worked 250 going? thats really great to hear, is it as fast as you hoped? and take the bloody thing down the quarter too!!!!!

i vote for the 4.0L engine with the 250 dizzy and LPG with lots and lots of lovely boost!!!

dont know about sump clearances/legality or anything though...

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 04:16   #7 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

Thanks for the replies guys. Ill have to look into it some more. I figure with gas you could get by emissions and all that easy.

Rollin- The car goes heaps better now. It is so much more fun to drive than before. The carby hasnt been rejetted so its running a little rich but not a major drama and will be sorted soon. My XF now goes heaps harder than my stock ED did although that was auto and the XF is manual.It does need a diff upgrade tho the 2.92 takes ages to get to the power band which is like 2500-3000 and goes to around 6000rpm.
I have no trouble wiping VLs anymore i raced a mate to the 'limit' one night and beat him every time we had like 10 goes at it. He had exhaust and extractors. I am pretty happy i have to say. I couldnt wipe the grin off my face for ages. Once its tuned properly ill get it down the quarter, shouldnt be too long now just have to juggle uni and work and everything else first.

Can anyone give me an explanation of using an EF/EL manifold on straight gas and how it works. This would be better than an ED manifold yes?? Ive been told it isnt controlled by the ECU. What is the dual runner design for? Is it a better chioce for a conversion than the ED manifold?
Considering i am going straight gas i can get a gas carby to bolt straight onto either manifold from GRA or IMPCO.

Thanks
Dan
Old 03-12-2003, 04:42   #8 (permalink)
Mustang Owner

Depends on which state you live in. In NSW if you car runs straight gas you will be sweet with emissions.

There is an EB sedan getting around western sydney running a blown 351 Clevo. How did he get is passed for emissions?

running it only on LPG.

Owns
66 Silver Frost Mustang 289 Windsor
71 XY GS Fairmont in Bronze Wine 302 Windsor
92 EB XR8 302 Windsor

Sure do love those Windsors
66_mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 04:51   #9 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

Hmm i think i might be okay, ill ring up soon and find out.
The guys that put my engine together said he use to have a 450HP 351clevo in an EA on straight gas and it was legal.

By reading the links given above by Raptor it looks like all i need to do is put a XF electronic dizzy in and whack a carby on and im away. It sounds fairly simple to me. Although if i chose to get an EL engine the dual runner intake might get tricky.

Does anyone know if the engine and gearbox is a straight bolt in?

The info the better.
Thanks again
Dan
Old 03-12-2003, 14:01   #10 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

Quote:
Originally posted by DansEdgli
Can anyone give me an explanation of using an EF/EL manifold on straight gas and how it works. This would be better than an ED manifold yes?? Ive been told it isnt controlled by the ECU. What is the dual runner design for? Is it a better chioce for a conversion than the ED manifold?
Dan, I don't know much about gas conversions but the split manifold is there to take advantage of the momentum of the incoming air to give a slight "ram" effect and achieve better cylinder filling & thus more low down torque. At lower revs the air is forced to take the long path and in doing so it builds up a bit of speed and momentum. At higher revs/load there is plenty of torque anyway and what you really want to achieve is getting the most air you can into the cylinders as quickly as possible, so the internal butterfly's open the short, more direct path to the valves.

My understanding is that it is controlled by the ECU which also alters ignition timing at the same time.

You could always use the manifold if it better suits a gas conversion and fix it into either the long or short runner position and still use an XF dizzy with manual advance. I think the BA XR6T motor has the manifold in a fixed position as the boost from the turbo far exceeds any gains that might have been made by the momentum of the air alone.

If you use XG engine/gbox mounts it should position it OK in the engine bay but XG had altered radiator/airbox support panels to use EB gear so you will need to sort something out there - shouldn't be too great a headache.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech