EA Alternators, radiator flushes and EL mirrors - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2003, 05:58   #1 (permalink)
Often has bolts left over

EA Alternators, radiator flushes and EL mirrors

got a few questions saved up, hopefully some of you might be able to answer them

1. My reconditioned alternator and 3 month old regulator is doing strange things. when you start the engine it does not charge (voltage sits on about 12). if you rev the engine to about 2500 the needle shoots up to 14 and stays there till the car is turned off. the guage has been checked for accuracy against a multi-meter, it is not faulty. I have an idea on what it is but Ill see what you guys come up with.

2. during the cruise up to murray bridge i had to take on a pretty long steep hill. the temperature guage kept rising.... fortunatly I reached the crest of the hill before i boiled, and i cooled it down by rolling in neutral. I have noticed this before on other steep hills. I realise this is probably due to my radiator needing a flush have any of you fellas got any tips or results you can share?(ie sticking a hose in there, not taking it to a mechanic. if i have to spend any amount of money i may as well buy a new one)

3. EL mirrors. my uncle wiped off his left hand mirror on his 1998 EL Futura. as you probably know futuras have colour coded mirrors. he has bought a suitable replacement but it is unpainted. what we need to know is how to get the mirror glass out so we can paint it! EL mirrors dont come out by releasing a clip like EA electric mirrors. we have even consulted the factory workshop manual and it doesnt mention how. perhaps one of you fellas could give us some ideas.

cheers fellas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2003, 00:40   #2 (permalink)

Re: EA Alternators, radiator flushes and EL mirrors

well I managed to fix the alternator. believe it or not the red battery "alternator not charging" warning light MUST be working for the alternator to function correctly (sounds like bullshit when you first hear it, but go try taking your bulb out). the globe was blown...
Old 09-15-2003, 19:28   #3 (permalink)
400 kg ego

With the mirror, why not just carefully tape up the reflecting part and spray over it? This has worked for me before.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 22:01   #4 (permalink)

Mirror just pulls out. There are little clips in each corner. Then just pushes back in. Easy.
Old 09-16-2003, 19:07   #5 (permalink)

jack: yeah thats the last resort if i cant get it out, but its easier with it out.

kiwishau: do you have to release these clips with a screwdriver or something to get it out? or do you just pull it out?
Old 09-16-2003, 19:36   #6 (permalink)

Just pulls out, Start on one side. Push mirror in as far as it will go in one corner and you can see the clips on the end that sticks out.
Geeze Hope that makes sense
Old 09-19-2003, 04:21   #7 (permalink)
EAS

Re 2. Radiator.
Have you ever removed the radiator and then cleaned all the grass and seeds etc that coolect in front of the radiator and the air conditioning condener. The front of my radiator was covered with a 1/2 inch matt of grass etc except for a clear circle where the fan must have managed to suck it alll through. This fixed my unusual "warming " problem. I have had the car for fifteen years, the oriinal radiator and I have vever had to take it to a radiator shop yet. I have only had to remove this one time .
EAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 20:42   #8 (permalink)

I've had the radiator out recently so its not chocked up full of grass. any idea how much a new one is worth? or a 3-core one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech

« Unichip | EL specs? »