Ford Forums banner

EA CFI probs.. uneven idle - after 1/3 throttle flatspot

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  xr6t 
#1 ·
Hey Peoples,

Checked through 30 odd pages of posts, and haven't found anything that matches my problem exactly.. just bits and peices.

I have a 3.9litre CFI with 5 speed manual. Sometimes it idles correctly, and no problems. But most of the time the idle hunts like crazy and will eventually settle down to a normal high idle after a couple of minutes.

The computer reports no issues at all, the TPS and the ICS are fine when testing with a multimeter. So all in all it seems fine.. just a real pain in the a***.

Should I just save up and convert to MPI.. or is there an easy fix?

Also.. after about 1/3 throttle at low revs in anything above first it is sluggish as hell.. until it gets to around 3000revs and gets a move on. Putting the foot down below 2500revs just makes it bog completely.

On another note.. i've cleaned the aircon drain tube.. but i still get feet soaked in water everytime i turn a left and corner.

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
Could possibly be an air or fuel problem ....have you checked your air cleaner element as it may be blocked or your car may be running too rich/lean
Just as a first attempt at a solution ( wont cost you anything ) check the following :
Air Cleaner, Fuel Filter, Check to see if intake manifold to head bolts are tight - likewise with the manifold to throttle body, see if it puffs black smoke out of the exhaust even when warmed up etc also check timing, plugs, rotor, cap etc and if that doesnt cure it then u may have something a little more serious

#3 ·
Jamie... come over to my place and get that Throttle body i offered you.... im gonna toss it out soon! :)

Brent

#4 ·
Brent,

B4 ya toss the TB.. let me know when i can pop over and pick it up.. wanna give that a go since i think the injectors aren't that healthy either!

Thanks mate!

Jamie

#5 ·
Guys...

To add to the story... when cold the damn thing has TONS of power.. very nice for wheel spins! but once it warms up it feels like a damn 4 cylinder at times. The air cleaner is *******.. cleaned the rotor, cleaned the posts in the dizzy, checked the plugs.. fine.. starting to wonder if its too serious to even bother about.. just gimme MPI :)

Oh.. and to add to the whoes... need a new clutch and alot of bushes everywhere.. hate having to relearn how to drive a manual to stop clunks between gear changes!

#6 ·
hate having to relearn how to drive a manual to stop clunks between gear changes!
That's easy, just keep the clutch in! he he

So it runs good when cold, and shite when hot? I would be looking at the coil for a start. As for the stumbly idle at start-up (only does this when cold I presume), probably one of the sensors getting up to temp., don't worry about it, be patient.

#7 ·
Jamie, u shoulda brought an EB mate ;)

Brent

#9 ·
Hey Peoples,

Well maddymoo.. did just that, grabbed an ICS from the wreckers.. wow.. it actually idles now, and slows down when i backoff in traffic!!!!

I replaced the injectors this morning with the set I got from Brent. Still doesn't accelerate like I would expect, but there is a slight improvement in revving up.

*cries* I want a carby to play with.. so much simpler!

Jamie

#10 ·
Jamie, of course it doesnt....its CFI.

Brent

#11 ·
brent,

At 60kph.. putting the foot down in 4th.. i expect to go fast.. not crawl up in speed.. cant just be the cfi... oh well.. i'll get a bit of cash together.. mpi it.. cam it.. exhaust it.. and make it GO :)

In the meantime.. i'll put up with it.

Jamie

#12 ·
Power Steering switch?

Esky boy,
I had a similar problem with my EA doing the funny idle thing you mentioned. It ended up being a faulty pin in the power steering switch. A simple pull out, adjust the pin and put it back in again and all came good.

If it's not showing up in computer tests then it may not be the case but when I got mine checked, the mech said it was common on some EAs, mine's an October 88 model if that helps at all.

XR6T

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.