EA Climate Control Problems! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2002, 01:04   #1 (permalink)
Not Fast Enough, Dammit!

EA Climate Control Problems!

Guys,
I have a mate with an EA Fairmont Ghia with the climate control.
It has this problem when the AC is on. When you accelarate hard, the vent switches to the windcscreen vent. :shifty:
Once you ease of the fast pedal, a few seconds later it returns to the original vent.
Now i'm thinking some kind of vacuum leak, but I dont know where to check first (concidering my lack of knowledge with EA's)
PLEASE HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2002, 01:18   #2 (permalink)
AUII S

I would like help on this too. My EA Series 2 30th Anniversary Edition standard Falcon Gli does this too.
Amp - Eclipse PA5422
Fronts - Alpine SPS-571A
Rears - RockFord Fosgate T1572C
JMM Mods Some Day

vbman187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 06:38   #3 (permalink)
EB wagon

Oh no no.... this isnt a problem with yer ACC... its an added option for revvheads. See it swtiches to demist when u hooon so that incase the windscreen fogs up... it will quickly demist so u can see the next courner ahead nice and clearly.

Brent
EB1 3.9L MPI Falcon Wagon with converted T5 / Pacemaker & 2.5" Redback sports exhaust / 2" lowered blocks at the rear, Kings lows up front / ED Tickford Head and Cam / K&N panel filter with XH intake Snorkel / Full EL Fairmont interior with woodgrain

89 EA1 3.9L TBI Falcon Sedan with 3 speed auto / currently being upgraded...
Brent79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 13:32   #4 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Hmmm, thats interesting! Ive heard some new cars these days actually switch off the a/c when its floored to get power to the ground.
NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 13:32   #5 (permalink)
So Play Nice

It is also to divert the air away from your face and stop your eyeballs drying out as they pop out of your head under heavy acceleration!!

OFR #23

Member - ATPS - Automatic Transmission Preservation Society

SVO Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 15:24   #6 (permalink)
Formerly EAII_Fairmont

It sounds like a vacuum leak somewhere. Check around the back of the intake manifold where the vacuum lines connect and see if they are all properly connected.

Quote:
Originally posted by NZinAUS
Hmmm, thats interesting! Ive heard some new cars these days actually switch off the a/c when its floored to get power to the ground.
That is true. The compressor in my mum's 96 excel cuts out when you take off or put your foot down, it's gutless enough as it is let alone trying to take off fast with with a/c on!

One of my mates has a 92 1.6L auto laser. A bloody pushbike could beat that thing off the line when the a/c is on!
AUII_Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 15:14   #7 (permalink)
EB wagon

I thought that the EA's compressor cut out aswell at WOT?

Brent
EB1 3.9L MPI Falcon Wagon with converted T5 / Pacemaker & 2.5" Redback sports exhaust / 2" lowered blocks at the rear, Kings lows up front / ED Tickford Head and Cam / K&N panel filter with XH intake Snorkel / Full EL Fairmont interior with woodgrain

89 EA1 3.9L TBI Falcon Sedan with 3 speed auto / currently being upgraded...
Brent79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 16:13   #8 (permalink)

i dont know too much about how the fords work in this way but with my VL there is a one way valve in some of the vacuum hoses so that when the engine is under load the vacuum that holds the vents open is still there as there is a ball mounted under the bumper that holds vacuum.

hope that makes some sort of sense, there has to be a valve like that somewhere in the falcons. mine was gone so under load (up hills or gunning it) it'd come out at the feet. i found the valve and sure enough it was doing nothing, got one at a wrecker for like $1 and its been fine ever since.
natho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 21:09   #9 (permalink)

My mates EB 2 Fairmont has a similiar problem. However, it always is on the windscreen, won't change at all. Haven't investigated it yet, since he just bought the car, but someone did mention it possibly is a vacumn leak.
DaLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 05:16   #10 (permalink)
DOA

Can be an easy fix or a full on pain in the arse.

Not easy to describe so recomend getting a service manual.

Start in the engine bay. Check the vacuum lines. One or Two, cant remember. There about three ml in diameter and enter the fire wall behind the last manifold inlet (slightly down and right)

In side car. Vacuum lines come in above pax foot well. Two black lines come in and connect to a white plug with about 10 plastic vacuum lines. multi color. one side goes to the climate control unit in the dash. The other side goes to the air outlets where the vacuum opperates the flaps (what ever there called). Check all lines are connected to plug.

Climate control unit. May be broken or leaking inside unit. Vacuum lines may be loose or off.

At each air outlet there will be a flap controlled by the vacuum to direct air. One each side (left and right side with two valves) of dash. Three or two centre behined dash. Check they work and lines are connected. i had two lines squashed by the aircon unit and something else which ensured I always had air on the windscreen. The vacuum reservior is located in to the right of the accelerator peddle between the inner and out skin. A vacuum line should come from the climate control unit to it and reture. Check this.

I had two remove the whole dash to check bits so it can take some time. Also did this some time ago and working from memory, so some info or all may be incorrect. This should give you an idea of whats involved. Either way it will take you some time to fix or alot of money to pay someone else to fix

As I said not easy to describe, especially after a long day. Best of luck!

DOA
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech